GBR's breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought two GBRs the other day and they are already showing signs of breeding. They hang around a piece of slate all day but also dug out a crater in the gravel. The female seems to have a round white thing that looks like an egg protruding from her anal area. She also rubs her stomach against the gravel. So does this sound like breeding? Also will the other fish eat the eggs? Fish include coryadoras( Sterbai & albino), Kuhli loaches, hillstream loaches, white cloud minnows, harlequin rasboras and a BN pleco. The loaches and the BN will be rehomed to a 55 in 2 weeks or so. What do you think?

Yup, they are about to spawn! The thing that looks like an egg is her egg tube. she may spawn on the slate then move the fry to the crater after they hatch or just spawn in the crater. If she lays on the slate and you have a hospital tank up and running. I would move the slate to the HT after spawning. Why? because in truth getting rams to breed isn't all that hard. Having the fry survive to the one month age is the tough part. They are soooo small that feeding them is hard. Hakari makes a powder food called "first bite's" this is working for my fry.

Also, yes! your other fish are going to see the eggs as a Golden Corral buffet line. The rams will be very aggressive to anything that gets to close.

Don't be surprised if the eggs just disappear over night. Sometimes, new pairs will eat the eggs. it can take a few try's for them to get it right.

Hope this helps!

Yup, they are about to spawn! The thing that looks like an egg is her egg tube. she may spawn on the slate then move the fry to the crater after they hatch or just spawn in the crater. If she lays on the slate and you have a hospital tank up and running. I would move the slate to the HT after spawning. Why? because in truth getting rams to breed isn't all that hard. Having the fry survive to the one month age is the tough part. They are soooo small that feeding them is hard. Hakari makes a powder food called "first bite's" this is working for my fry.

Also, yes! your other fish are going to see the eggs as a Golden Corral buffet line. The rams will be very aggressive to anything that gets to close.

Don't be surprised if the eggs just disappear over night. Sometimes, new pairs will eat the eggs. it can take a few try's for them to get it right.

Hope this helps!

How soon after the egg tube is layed should you move it? Will a net fry attachment do? I am getting ready to get my female!! Did we not talk about fertilizer?? Thanks for the info!

phishfriend said:

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! I came downstairs this morning and looked in the tank and I think they laid eggs. Unfortunately there were tons of snails in the crater area(just bought assassin snails.) So I have a problem with ramshorn snails, do you think they ate the eggs? How can I protect the eggs? I'll stay up all night if I have to. Also the male keeps pecking at the snails and he chases most fish away. I have hikari first bites left over from betta and gourami breeding. I also have an empty 10 gallon that is almost cycled, but rams need "old water",right?

You can do a water change on the ten with water from your DT. The eggs will hatch in about 48h in temp of 80F. You can pull the eggs as soon as spawning in done( when the male and female stop rubbing the lay site and just fan them). They will attack your hand! but you will live, LOL! the eggs will be fine in the tank as long as it cycled. the male should make life miserable for anything that gets to close.

"they will attack your hand" LMAO!
So I'm not sure what DT stands for but I'm guessing you mean to take water from the main tank and put it in the 10g. How long do you think it will be till they breed again? She still has her egg tube but they aren't near the breeding spot as much as before. I really appreciate all of the information it's been really helpful.

"they will attack your hand" LMAO!
So I'm not sure what DT stands for but I'm guessing you mean to take water from the main tank and put it in the 10g. How long do you think it will be till they breed again? She still has her egg tube but they aren't near the breeding spot as much as before. I really appreciate all of the information it's been really helpful.

"DT"= display tank

When do you think they will breed again? She still has her egg tube.

Move then to a breeding box or hatchery tank. I use a 20L as a hatchery tank. The important things is to keep a soft water flow over the eggs to mimic the fanning of the adults. I use an air stone with a ball valve to control the air flow. It needs to be a soft flow

Will do, but they spawned during the night last time and I wasn't able to get to the eggs in time. Hopefully they breed during the day.

Ok try this. Watch your female. When she get plumb and red bellied. Do a water change when you see this. Do it on a day you can hangout and watch the tank. Then as soon as the spawn is over and they are just guarding. You pull the eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info I will follow everything you said and give you an update.

Back
Top Bottom