German blue ram breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would suggest maybe just laying a rock flat somewhere. It might be to late now but I'm sure it won't make that big a difference haha. And okay :)

Yay! I finally got both of them conditioned and her belly is really red! They have been fed on flakes, brine shrimp and bloodworms. Not long now!

Yes! I finally got eggs! The parents are guarding them ATM but I can't get any pics because of the position.

Update: all eggs have now been eaten. I was expecting it though so it was no suprise. I have to wait until next time l

Update: all eggs have now been eaten. I was expecting it though so it was no suprise. I have to wait until next time l

If you really want to raise the fry, I'd suggest pulling the spawns. Rams are notoriously either good parents or egg eaters. If you breed in a community tank, pull the spawns. If you breed in a separate tank and the eggs are eaten, pull the next spawns. If you breed in a separate tank and can give the pair some privacy, leave the spawn and see what happens. If they still eat the eggs, pull the spawn next time.

The misconception I repeatedly see on this site is that a fish's first spawn will be a DUD. That's not 100% true. Most fish's first spawns are not high percentage yields. That means that say there are 100 eggs, 10 or so (arbitrary number) might survive. If you are just looking to try to raise the fry for the experience (which I highly recommend), it doesn't matter that there are only 10 does it? The requirements are basically the same for 1 or 100 so why not at least try? It's good practice for when the fish do have a high yield spawn.

Just my 2 cents :dance:

Yeah. If you really want the fry you should move the eggs. But I'm just going to wait a couple batches and wait for them to become better parents. It sucks a lot, I know the feeling :/

But on the plus side you know they are paired up now.

Yeah. If you really want the fry you should move the eggs. But I'm just going to wait a couple batches and wait for them to become better parents. It sucks a lot, I know the feeling :/

But on the plus side you know they are paired up now.

That's one of the problems with Rams, unlike a number of other fish, they don't always BECOME better parents. You COULD be waiting a long time for that to never happen ;)
The choice, of course, is your :brows:

Back
Top Bottom