Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok. So I went to my lfs to get some java moss today. They had a sale going on for ghost shrimp. So I got 10. She gave me more like 16. One of em is really big. I noticed this evening that it looked like she was laying eggs. I'm really hoping they will hatch and get in the java moss so they won't get eaten by the community. I'll post a link to the YouTube vid once I get it uploaded. For now here's a cpl pics.

Attachments

• image-575692372.jpg
    image-575692372.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-767609483.jpg
    image-767609483.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 103
You know you could get a shrimp breeding net that latches onto the side of the tank and is in the water. Put moss in there, wait for the shrimp to lay, get her out when she does and then you have more then a dozen safe baby shrimp!!

Uhh some ghost shrimp babies need brackish water to survive. And I'm pretty sure the eggs develop under her tail and when they're born they are swimming around and alive. Those are definately eggs in there though.

I made a breeder box out of part of a 2 liter bottle and stuffed a good bit of moss in it. Think that will work? I wanted to isolate her cuz everytime she starts to lay her eggs my corys come a diggin.

Ya thats great! But make sure you take the mother out right when shes laid her eggs, she will start to eat them afterwards

Pics of my breeding contraption. :)

Attachments

• image-203862490.jpg
    image-203862490.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1395179310.jpg
    image-1395179310.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 97
Oh and I have the same colored rocks as you! except mine have black in it! lol....that was off topic XD

Ok she finished laying her eggs last night. Anyone know how long it takes for them to hatch?

bluepearlshrimp said:
ghost shrimp dont lay their eggs they hatch them when theyre in their swimmerets

Like I mentioned before.
It could be one of the species that need brackish for the babies

Hi Gboy, What fish will shrimp be sharing tank with? My experience (w 20+ ghost shrimp) has been only fish with large enough mouths to eat shrimp will be a problem. Shrimp bear live young and they hide very well. My 20 gal has 20+ , at least 3 moms carrying berries all the time, share with an apple snail (btw snails are important for shrimp) dunno why, and 1 cory. Basically a shrimp tank. They breed and are very hardy. babies will be about size of head of pin.

Did you ever grow any ghost shrimp to adulthood ?

Yes! I've been very happliy surprized because I believed all of the stories about them eating their own. In a 20 gal or larger I don't think you'll have a problem. As I said, all they share tanks with is a Cory and a huge snail. They are awesome to watch. I found one eating its molt just the other day.
My next adventure? Cherry shrimp. Be happy to trade with anyone.

Back
Top Bottom