Giving birth right now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I just realized that one of my platies is giving birth! I haven't seen her actually delivering but I already so 4 tiny fish. Can you tell from the picture is she is the one pregnant?

Thanks!

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 149
  • platy fry.jpg
    platy fry.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 157
I can the the one pregnant defiantly because of the gravid spot. Congrats on fry!!!

Hey guys,
I'm new to this, this is the first time that I have fish fry. I know this is going to be challenge, because the aquarium is quite small for these fish (6 gal). Should I get a 2 gal tank to put the fry in that tank so the fry does not get eaten?

What do you suggest? Any advice will help me a lot! I want these babies to survive.

Cheers

Getting another nursery tank is very helpful yes or if you have allot of plants in the tank will help the fry hide as well

A 2G might be too small for fry, IMO a 10G is the best for a livebearer nursery tank

Wow the fry looks big i mean it doesn't look like newborn it looks like they have been there for maybe a week or two? if i am not mistaken, since i did have fry before and they were smaller and you could barely see them. Congrats on the fry they are so cute, but so hard to take care, mine died after 4 months :( and i don't know why, maybe i didn't give a proper care. :huh:

I don't know that they're hard to take care of. Ours were totally unexpected. Arrived 3 days after we brought the adults home. We ended up having a total of 3 broods (?) of fish before we were able to stop the madness. All we fed them was crushed flake food and we ended up giving away a total of around 30 fish to friends. They didn't all survive, but a large number did. I'm sure we did a terrible job raising our fry, but we had a decent survival rate.

Fry are not hard to raise, just like any other fish they need clean water, fed well, and a good temp. Most of my fish in my tank I have raised from fry.

Mine were unexpected too, i got two swordtail a female and a male and before i knew they had fry already i didn't even know she was pregnant and did a pwc so i might even accidentally suck out some fry because the way i find i got two fry it was because they were by the filter, i saw two tiny orange thing and realized it was a fry hehe i hope next time i have fry i will give them proper care

Back
Top Bottom