Got a male and female krib and they are getting on very well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
They are getting on so well that they are in the same
Cave and go every where together even do with movements with they body when they are close so I prepare for hatchlings ? Or eggs ?

A few things to look for: the female's stomach will turn a very pretty shade of red and both her and the male's colors will really start to show up. The female's stomach will also get a fuller look to it, meaning she' becoming gravid (full of eggs). They will also start mating dances, he will show off the her, she to him, rubbing each other etc.

A few ways to help kick start everything:

1) small water changes with cooler water; simulates the rainy season

2) after the water changes feed them with bloodworms and brine shrimp; makes their colors pop

This helps condition them for spawning. You can also feed them their regular food but the meaty foods help tremendously.

Ok thankyou very much and I have tetra pro energy but will the blood worms be 100%nesecary cause I only get paid next week ?

Like I said, it helps to condition them for spawning but it's not 100% necessary. I've had spawns from just feeding regular food. I found though by doing the conditioning, the spawns were larger and the fry healthier, also the parents didn't eat the eggs. A bonus :)

Most cichlids will eat their eggs the first few spawns or if they feel they're eggs are in jeopardy or not well. They tend to get better at the whole spawning thing after the first few tries.

That's great I have no idea when mine will I think they are still pairing

Back
Top Bottom