Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DjBootleg Send a message via Skype™ to DjBootleg
Gourami Bubble Nest

Two of my big breeder gouramis are pregnant. And I notice today one of the males have built a bubble nest. So I am wondering is it safe to shut off the power filter until they hatch so it doesn't interrupt the nest?

I have plenty of live plants..

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBootleg View Post
Two of my big breeder gouramis are pregnant. And I notice today one of the males have built a bubble nest. So I am wondering is it safe to shut off the power filter until they hatch so it doesn't interrupt the nest?

I have plenty of live plants..

If you turn off your filter, you might as well clean it out because by the time you use it again, you will have created a toxic condition inside your filter box that can kill off the fish once you turn it back on. Gouarmi do prefer to spawn in slow moving to stagnent conditions so if you trying to breed them you should turn off the filter.

Hope this helps

Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

If you turn off your filter, you might as well clean it out because by the time you use it again, you will have created a toxic condition inside your filter box that can kill off the fish once you turn it back on. Gouarmi do prefer to spawn in slow moving to stagnent conditions so if you trying to breed them you should turn off the filter.

Hope this helps
Change out the filter cartridge to?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Change out the filter cartridge to?
Yes. You will probably have the filter off for a couple of months so the beneficial bacteria will die off and decay so the cartridge will be worthless.
Another choice would be to use a bare, empty tank with new water, some plants and no filter and let them spawn in there. Once the fry have started free swimming and eating, you can add a sponge filter to the setup. (This is a better way of breeding anabantids BTW )
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Yes. You will probably have the filter off for a couple of months so the beneficial bacteria will die off and decay so the cartridge will be worthless.
Another choice would be to use a bare, empty tank with new water, some plants and no filter and let them spawn in there. Once the fry have started free swimming and eating, you can add a sponge filter to the setup. (This is a better way of breeding anabantids BTW )
So I turned off the filter and out a small air stone in there to produce a little bit of oxygen. And takin the filter and putting it in my 10 G quarantine tank so I am put one of my African Cichlids in there that's holding
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I turned off the filter and out a small air stone in there to produce a little bit of oxygen. And takin the filter and putting it in my 10 G quarantine tank so I am put one of my African Cichlids in there that's holding
Being a Labrynth fish, Gourami's don't need the oxygen from the water. Just make sure that the airflow is weak as to not disturb the nest. Also, Labrynth fish fry don't like moving water all that much so you need to be aware of the water movement.
When I was at the fish farms in your backyard ( in Tampa ) They just put a pair of fish in a plastic bag lined styro box with a plant in the water for the nest. No filters, no airstones, gravel or anything. That's how little is necessary for breeding gouramis.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Being a Labrynth fish, Gourami's don't need the oxygen from the water. Just make sure that the airflow is weak as to not disturb the nest. Also, Labrynth fish fry don't like moving water all that much so you need to be aware of the water movement.
When I was at the fish farms in your backyard ( in Tampa ) They just put a pair of fish in a plastic bag lined styro box with a plant in the water for the nest. No filters, no airstones, gravel or anything. That's how little is necessary for breeding gouramis.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted
Ok ok. When I cut off the filter it looked like there were running up to the top for air. Guess just paranoid lol. Ok I'll cut off the air pump
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok ok. When I cut off the filter it looked like there were running up to the top for air. Guess just paranoid lol. Ok I'll cut off the air pump

LOL, OK, Quick fish lesson: Labrynth fish ( Bettas, Gouramis, Paradise fish, etc) have a special gland/ organ called a Labrynth which enables them to take air from the atmosphere and convert it into oxygen for their blood. In other words, they are supposed to be coming up to the surface to breath. If this were a non Labrynth fish, this would be a bad thing to see but in this case, totally normal. They have been doing it the whole time you just may not have seen it.

So don't be paranoid Be educated

Keep us posted

Tags
bubble, bubble nest, gourami, nest

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com