Gourami builds bubble nests but bubbles seem to " pop "

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shenal_Anthony

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I paired up my male blue gourami and female gourami together in an attempt to make them breed. The tank has more than enough space and the female has plenty of spots to hide. After about 3 days of pairing them my male gourmai is starting to build a bubble nest. His colours are much darker and wonderful! The problem is that I was watching him build a bubble nest earlier and whenever he blows new bubbles, the bubbles seem to "pop" and disappear in couple of seconds. Its like he tries to build a nest but the bubbles burst in a couple of seconds . The water flow is very still, there is no filtration and the water is very very clean. Also I have put a bunch of floating plants but he does not seem interested in them. This is also the males first time building a nest so I'm guessing its something to do with experience haha? The female does not do much , she just stares at the male building the nest

Usually, when the bubbles burst it's because the humidity is not high enough or the water flow is.....flowing. I've found Gourami breeding is best with a sealed cover ( I use saran wrap) and no filter or water flow at all. That ( the filter) comes in much further down the road. You also need to keep the humidity up for when the fry are developing their Labrynth organ. Too cold or dry and the fry will die.
As for who builds the nest, the males do. Rarely will a female gourami partake in the building of the nest. An occasional bubble or 2 but not much more.

Back
Top Bottom