Gouramis preparation for breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaya10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I am about to introduce dwarf gouramis to my tank for breeding (72 liter). I have got two more smaller tanks I can use. I have been reading a lot about it but there are lots of different opinions out there so would like to see what you guys have to say.

My questions are: should I separate the male from female/s for conditioning? If so in what order should I put them in the breeding tank. Male first ? or females first (going to use 2 females)? Are plants necessary? I know that the male will turn aggressive soon after spawning but I intend to separate them anyway. I will also make sure females have a lot of hiding places in case I am not there when it happens. I would not like to put live plants at the moments cause I think my lighting is not good enough and I know gouramis like a dim tank. Lots of questions I know! Would really like to hear from people with a lot of experience in breeding these lovely fish.

Thank you

Yes plants something for him to build his nest put the male in at night then the female the following morning feed high protein food and watch water parameters change right before they spawn be careful not to disturbe the nest takes about 4 DAYS then after they spawn remove female and leave male in for about 3 days he will keep the fry in the nest till they are free swimming then remove him

Thanks for the info. Got some plants and a really nice male with 2 females. I put the male in first and added two felames the next day. I put a round plastic lid in a quiet corner of the tank and he already started collecting bits of plants and sticking them under the lid! He chases the females a lot but I guess thats normal. I have no other fish in the tank so I am hoping the will breed quickly. Giving them some bloodworms tonight. Whats the best temp to induce them?

Cheers

Things are moving forward fast! The female followed the male to the nest and bit him on the side and he immidietly swam sideways displaying his colors. I think the nest is not ready yet but looks like they are behaving as expected.

They will do that till the nest is done that is why u remove the female the male can stress her to death

Back
Top Bottom