Gravid krib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a kribensis that has been gravid for some time now I'd say over 2 weeks for sure. The male and female have dug out their cave but for some reason she won't lay her eggs. The reason why I say 2 weeks is because I no that they dug the cave out two weeks and a bit. The female has a huge red purplish belly but it's weird because somedays the belly isn't that purple almost like she laid eggs but it doesn't look like they are trying to protect them. Anybody have some insight to what's going on?

ive had kribs for about a year and their behavior still has me questioning. youll know when she is laying her eggs for shell have a small clearish tube comin out of her back end. Check when she loses color. My female after her eggs get eaten gets really sad and all her color fades away for a while but shell perk back up. hope this helps oh and how many kribs do you have what size tank, species of tank mates, and what are your water perimeters? If the water is too hard the male cant fertilize the eggs. Thats my problem right now.

Owl307 said:
ive had kribs for about a year and their behavior still has me questioning. youll know when she is laying her eggs for shell have a small clearish tube comin out of her back end. Check when she loses color. My female after her eggs get eaten gets really sad and all her color fades away for a while but shell perk back up. hope this helps oh and how many kribs do you have what size tank, species of tank mates, and what are your water perimeters? If the water is too hard the male cant fertilize the eggs. Thats my problem right now.

I have a pair of kribs and a jouvi male 29g water is fine more on the softer side and I havent seen her obviator yet. But I have a female in my 30g laying eggs and She stays in her cave to much to see her obviator. My tank mates
2x gourami
2x sae
4x gold barbs
2x GBR
An upside cat

If they feel too threatened they wont breed. I have an agressive pleco that is causing problems for me. If you could move the juvi male that would help they may not like him around.. A pair can easily take over the bottom of a 40g tall first time mothers and fathers eat their eggs for the first few times too. Mine seem to spawn around every two weeks.

Owl307 said:
If they feel too threatened they wont breed. I have an agressive pleco that is causing problems for me. If you could move the juvi male that would help they may not like him around.. A pair can easily take over the bottom of a 40g tall first time mothers and fathers eat their eggs for the first few times too. Mine seem to spawn around every two weeks.

What the base of you tank in inches? I personally wouldn't get a tall tank because it reduces service agitation.
I dint think my kribs would feel threatened, they seem to own the tank. Even pushes the cat around. Im waiting to see how the males colour comes out for breeding. Seems to have nice colours starting. My male in the 30g is from the same parents and has some amazing colours in him so I'm just waiting to see what comes out of him then I will rehome or get an albino female and rehome my GBR unless they breed first but the female is a juvi still and the male i believe is almost mature

i dont like tall either. I originally got it as a "30g" but it turned out to be a 40g tall thats what i thought too that they owned the tank but i turned out to be wrong. I didnt know until i watched the tank for like 5 hours the males can get good coloring but it really just depends like one of my males gets really really dark like almost black while another stays really light.

Owl307 said:
i dont like tall either. I originally got it as a "30g" but it turned out to be a 40g tall thats what i thought too that they owned the tank but i turned out to be wrong. I didnt know until i watched the tank for like 5 hours the males can get good coloring but it really just depends like one of my males gets really really dark like almost black while another stays really light.

I meant the colours or the dorsal fin and tail fin. My one male has a little red and white down the dorsal fin and on the tail fin with one black spot. The other, it's got red orange and white with two black spots it also get red all under it's belly

yes I know but i thought id metion that too My best male gets a vibrant red belly the best ive seen actually with a lot of yellow red and orange with black spots on the dorsel and tail Even has some blue on the dorsel not as much as one of the lighter ones but still beautiful. do you know exactly how young your kribs are?

That's cool, spots on the dorsal fin, I no my females do but I'm not sure about the males. it's 1am here so my lights are off So I can't check but I think they are just strips

Do you know the width and length of your tank?

Mines 30 by 12 for the 29g and 36 x 12 for the 30g I think

Sounds nice what's your stocking? I'm just think of getting a new tank and just wondering about tank sizes

i have 4 golden wonder killifish one male 3 female 4 kribs 2m 2f and a breeding school of 6 ameca splendons 2 male 4 female with 10 baby amecas in breeder nets. I actually have 5 krib but i need to find one of the males a home. Its an uneven ratio because of an unfortunate death of a female. 6 kribs had worked when they were younger. But if didnt relize they needed more space until to late.There's alot of conflict between my kribs right now and i believe they are killing another one of my females. I need to do something before she gets killed. shes my best female and instead of red she's purple

Three but I only have two set up, I have a little ten gallon that I'm trying to decide what to do with it

ohhh if your intrested in breeding try breeding corys. i think they'd work for a ten gallon.

I have yet to by a single Cory lol, I've just never really wanted to look for them.

Back
Top Bottom