Gravid Tiger Barb Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmw9787

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've searched the internets and haven't been able to find much on how a gravid tiger barb behaves. I have 7 (5 tiger, 2 green) and took out what I think is a gravid female and put her in my 20 gallon tank. A few days later I put a male in the tank with her. Now she hides by the heater all the time and is often swimming vertically (nose pointed toward floor). She eats and swims around sometimes though, just not very often.

I'm wondering if the male is stressing her out and she's trying to hide or if there's something else I should be worried about or if this is normal. I also have 3 platy fry in the tank in a breeders net that are all very healthy so I don't think I have water issues. Any help is appreciated. An overall description of normal gravid tiger barb behavior and mating behavior would help a lot.

I've searched the internets and haven't been able to find much on how a gravid tiger barb behaves. I have 7 (5 tiger, 2 green) and took out what I think is a gravid female and put her in my 20 gallon tank. A few days later I put a male in the tank with her. Now she hides by the heater all the time and is often swimming vertically (nose pointed toward floor). She eats and swims around sometimes though, just not very often.

I'm wondering if the male is stressing her out and she's trying to hide or if there's something else I should be worried about or if this is normal. I also have 3 platy fry in the tank in a breeders net that are all very healthy so I don't think I have water issues. Any help is appreciated. An overall description of normal gravid tiger barb behavior and mating behavior would help a lot.

A Gravid tiger barb acts just like a normal tiger barb. A spawning Tiger barb acts a bit different. If your female is hiding from your male tho, she is either not ready to spawn or the conditions in the tank are not the right spawning conditions. If you are interested in spawning Tiger Barbs, feel free to PM me and I will give you the method I used to commecially breed these fish. (y)

Back
Top Bottom