Green sevreums pair, moving babies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tx Oscar Lover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a paid of green Severums who have had a bunch of fry. They are in a 175 gallon tank, with two oscars :eek:. For the fry to maybe survive could I move them into a 46 gallon tank that's been established for a while. It was the Severums old home. I'll move both the adults & the fry. The babies are big enough to fit into a net now & they are swimming. I don't want the oscars eating them. Would this be okay? If so, how should I do it?

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-1758965113.jpg
    image-1758965113.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-477000301.jpg
    image-477000301.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 125
I had a similar situation with my Damarion Molly fry, I netted them out, into a 2.5 with water from the main tank -at 80 degrees, sponge filter, and no gravel just some plants to hide in till they got big enough to free swim, (about half an inch for the smallest ones)

Then I moved them into a 25 gallon with water from the same established tank to grow out in.

I would recommend moving just the fry, so they aren't eaten. Big fish- little fish syndrome. Water at 76-80 will boost their metabolism along with the same tank water, and lots of light. That way they will developed quickly, and in a few months can be returned to the main tank/sold/breed/whatever. :)

Good luck! :)

I have a 20 gallon tank. I can go ahead and take 20 gallons from the main one. Could I just move them in there? Okay I won't move the parents then.

Also, my oscars just laid eggs like today. I didn't witness it but there are a bunch of eggs now. Now I know both could be female, or I could have a make and a female. But I know I hit at least one female :). So let's also watch this.

Attachments

• image-2823122355.jpg
    image-2823122355.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 112
I have a 20 gallon tank. I can go ahead and take 20 gallons from the main one. Could I just move them in there? Okay I won't move the parents then. Also, my oscars just laid eggs like today. I didn't witness it but there are a bunch of eggs now. Now I know both could be female, or I could have a make and a female. But I know I hit at least one female :). So let's also watch this.
I wonder how many will be albino or black ! Gonna be cool! Defs following this

Well I moved most of them into the 20 gallon tank. I wanted to wait for more advice but the dry were swimming everywhere & the oscars started eating them so I moved as many as I could right now. There are still a few in the tank. Figured I'd leave them there. See how big they can get. I couldn't catch them. But most survived the transfer, had a few casualties.
But here's a photo. Hope all turns out well

Attachments

• image-120877973.jpg
    image-120877973.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 96
That's great! Sorry about the losses, but you did well, by acting fast!

I recommend using airline tubing as a DIY mini syphon to clean their tank, giving them lots of light, I read recommended up to 16 hours, and feeding up to 7 times a day. (Syphon ing up the extra)

It's a lot if work, but man is it worth it! My fry are growing like crazy, some are already and inch long, and it's only been about a month. :)

Good luck with your eggs! If they hatch- they can probably go in the same 20 gallon you mentioned, with no problem until they get of breeding age- when any aggression would show up.

I found it helpful to take pictures to document their growth, could be fun to post them here!

Have fun, and good luck!

Well the Severum fry are currently living in a 20 gallon high tank right now. They've been in there for about 36 hours so far & everything looks great. :).

The Oscars eggs were fertile!! I see a bunch of little tales swimming outside of the eggs. It's incredible I have a pair. I was forever hoping they were, & lucky enough I got a pair. :).

The first photo is of the Oscar eggs. & the second is as good a photo I can get if the Severum fry.

Can I mix both fry in the same 20 gallon tank? Or should I put the oscar fry in the 46 gallon tank?

Attachments

• image-4261222945.jpg
    image-4261222945.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3888506283.jpg
    image-3888506283.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 83
I think both kinds should be totally fine together. :) I actually have guppy, molly, and betta fry in the same 20 gallon, believe it or not, and everyone is swimming happily together. You might develop problems in about 3 months or so, but by then, they should be big enough to add into your main tank (whichever is the aggressor) and the mammas and the papas can show them who's boss. (Honestly you could also sell them at that point, and probably get a pretty penny.)

Good job!! :)

I think both kinds should be totally fine together. :) I actually have guppy, molly, and betta fry in the same 20 gallon, believe it or not, and everyone is swimming happily together. You might develop problems in about 3 months or so, but by then, they should be big enough to add into your main tank (whichever is the aggressor) and the mammas and the papas can show them who's boss. (Honestly you could also sell them at that point, and probably get a pretty penny.) Good job!! :)

Thanks :). But I have some bad news, I'm guessing the Oscars went ahead & ate all of their fry. I didn't see any more eggs or any fry at all this morning & the Oscars weren't really in the same area so I'm guessing I lost most of them. Which I read is common for the first few tries. Hopefully I'm right lol. But at least I know I have a pair :).

Thanks :). But I have some bad news, I'm guessing the Oscars went ahead & ate all of their fry. I didn't see any more eggs or any fry at all this morning & the Oscars weren't really in the same area so I'm guessing I lost most of them. Which I read is common for the first few tries. Hopefully I'm right lol. But at least I know I have a pair :).

Look around... fish often hide their fry in different locations.

Look around... fish often hide their fry in different locations.

Yeah I checked everywhere, lol. Trust me. Plus both of them quit protecting that little spot. So I'm assuming they ate them. But I was able to save 3 of them. I moved them into the other tank with the Severum fry :). So I saved 3! Lol

Yeah I checked everywhere, lol. Trust me. Plus both of them quit protecting that little spot. So I'm assuming they ate them. But I was able to save 3 of them. I moved them into the other tank with the Severum fry :). So I saved 3! Lol

3 is better than nothing :)

post some pictures of the guys now!
Here you go! :).

The first are of two of the Oscar fry & the next one kind of sucks but it's a picture of the Severum fry. They are big enough now that when I feed them I can see them eating itty bitty pieces of food.

Attachments

• image-3208068362.jpg
    image-3208068362.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3865460483.jpg
    image-3865460483.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 78
Here you go! :).

The first are of two of the Oscar fry & the next one kind of sucks but it's a picture of the Severum fry. They are big enough now that when I feed them I can see them eating itty bitty pieces of food.
awww they rock, wish i had a tank big enough for an oscar! love the albinos, I really can't wait to watch these guys grow up into juveniles and get a little color / shape!:lol:

Hi TX,

I am hoping that my Severums will breed for the first time soon. Do you remember how big your fish were before they bred? Any pointers on breeding them?

Is it better to breed a colony of them? Or separate pairs?

kitty2234

Hi TX, I am hoping that my Severums will breed for the first time soon. Do you remember how big your fish were before they bred? Any pointers on breeding them? Is it better to breed a colony of them? Or separate pairs? kitty2234

To be honest this is my first ever tank with cichlids, & so this is my first experience with cichlid fry. My fish are about a year and a half old. I have two of them. One is about double the size of the other one & is way more dominant. When they breed, they were both guarding over the eggs chasing all the other fish away.

I heard something about just keeping good water quality & maintaining the right water temperatures. & if you do that the fish are more likely to breed.

Like I said, complete rookie here. But that's how it worked for me :)

Small update, or actually kind of a huge update lol.

I have about 15 Severum fry that survived, they are all currently the size of the one in the picture. They are doing good :).

But guess what!?!? They laid more eggs about a week ago. The eggs hatched, & now the parents are currently guarding another 60 or so in the 175 gallon.

Long story short, I have a bunch of Green Severums now. :eek:.

Attachments

• image-1046121661.jpg
    image-1046121661.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom