Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have questions for setting up some breeder tanks feel free to ask.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are my guppies, the male is harder to get a picture of, he just doesn't seem to want to sit still and smile for the camera. My females don't seem to have a spot on them so how can I tell if they are pregnant?

Attachment 83928

Attachment 83923

Attachment 83924

Attachment 83925

Attachment 83926
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok you have a lighter skinned female guppies. The gravid spot on them will be a red/ orange. It wont be dark black it will be more red. If you have a male with them best bet is they are pregnant. What you will have to look for is the squaring off. Over time you will see that the females will start to get fatter. (look before feeding them)
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any chance that the babies could look like my male? I think he's pretty. Haven't seen any spots yet but maybe its just too early to tell, will the male impregnate both females? because he only seems to want to hang out with my smaller female
Old 03-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
come get me tang police!

It depends on a lot of factors. The biggest one is if he is even the father of the fry, since they can have several batches of fry from one encounter with a male several months earlier.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
It depends on a lot of factors. The biggest one is if he is even the father of the fry, since they can have several batches of fry from one encounter with a male several months earlier.
Very true
Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist
Ok you have a lighter skinned female guppies. The gravid spot on them will be a red/ orange. It wont be dark black it will be more red. If you have a male with them best bet is they are pregnant. What you will have to look for is the squaring off. Over time you will see that the females will start to get fatter. (look before feeding them)
They do seem to have a light reddish spot
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the two fish are the exact same breed the top one is definitely pregnant. Its hard not knowing how pregnant she is... so you just have to watch her very closely to see when she is having babies. Do your research now! I had baby mollies a few times, and it is crucial to seperate them at birth! Not sure how guppies are with their babies.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard they need to be separated as well
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

The fry may look like your male but it is very unlikely for now if You keep the females with that male for over three months then you will start to have fry that he is the father. Then The fry may look like him.

But I don't think your females are the same stain as your male so the fry will be a mix of both.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having read a bit on the guppies, I doubt that they will look like the father since they were kept with a male before I had gotten them. I had no idea that they carry semen inside them for long periods of time. Guess I still have allot to learn about guppies lol

Tags
guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com