guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mom gave me two guppies from her fish tank today, I have never had guppies before. She had told me one was male and one was female she also said that the female appeared to be pregnant. This picture I took of them isn't very clear but can anyone tell me if it is pregnant? How do you tell males and females apart?

View attachment 83406

They are both female but chances are they could still be pregnant if your mum had males with them

Not sure, don't think the one at the bottom is but the one at the top might be. Look for a dark spot (gravid spot) in the lower middle of their bodies. Maybe images from the back would be better.

They look like females
the top "fatter" one looks pregnant but more pics would help

Check out my thread
"guppy breeding log"

I have posted a lot of pics about my guppies and fry. And if you have any questions you can post there and many ppl will answer you.

You only have to have the male with the females for 2weeks and you will get 3 spawns from the female.

Are you going to be saving every fry? Or let nature do its thing?

are you going for lots of fry or just a couple? and how many tanks do you have?

Not planning on breeding them allot just kinda a one time thing, I have a 2 gallon tank, two ten gallons and a 29 gallon that has goldfish in it. I wanted to keep the guppies out of the Big tank though I'm afraid that my goldfish will eat the adult guppies so if they have fry I will separate the adults into the other empty ten gallon tank so the babies won't get eaten

Oh just wait you say that now. In the past 3weeks I have had 3 drops with 20+ each drop and more to come this week.

Lol that's allot, I am looking to rehome my goldfish they are just too messy and have to clean the tank too much. If I do I will move the guppies to the 29 gallon tank. Guppies seem like a cleaner fish than the goldfish

I have 8 tanks going now and I have guppies in 4
If You rlly like breeding you could make a nice little setup with your tanks

Not to bad just have to feed them 4-8 times a day and clean more but turkey baster works great for cleaning. (just have to be careful not to suck up fry.)

It is a blast to watch them grow. They grow right before your eyes

Guppy fry eat really anything but the best food is live foods. But you can use crushed flakes. And for plants I would say yes. Fry nibble on plants and plants are great hiding places for them. You can use fake plants for cover but many people say java moss is better. ( java moss is a low light plant very easy to grow)

Back
Top Bottom