Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treyzz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are.female guppies agressivr when they are pregnant?

First of all, are you sure she's pregnant? Because she might just be doing that to assert her dominance. Second of all, she might just be moody if she is pregnant so she might just be taking if out on the other fish.

Well she has the black spot and she is square so I believe she is

Yes they want to be left alone to have babies. The rule of thumb is to put the males in first so they can become dominant, then add your female(s) after at least a day or two.

Matt68005 said:
Yes they want to be left alone to have babies. The rule of thumb is to put the males in first so they can become dominant, then add your female(s) after at least a day or two.

I've never heard of that rule :s

re:

I've never heard of that rule :s
Dude don't quote me or il'l quote you right back. Maybe if you have ever read a book about guppies (yes i know how old fashioned, a book made out of paper) you would know that. The first fish in the tank has pecking order over the next fish in the tank, true with guppies just like alot of animals.

Dude don't quote me or il'l quote you right back. Maybe if you have ever read a book about guppies (yes i know how old fashioned, a book made out of paper) you would know that. The first fish in the tank has pecking order over the next fish in the tank, true with guppies just like alot of animals.
Hi, here's an idea, cut out the attitude. The guy just responded to your post saying he has never heard of what you were claiming. In turn you are welcome to respond and further explain your point, but you don't have to do it defensively or take it personal, because it's not. Being quoted just means that someone is specifically addressing a statement that someone else made, it's for clarification more than anything.

What you are talking about isn't something common that people talk about very often. Guppies don't have a very complex social order compared to something like cichlids, for example. Book or not, keeping several different livebearer species as well as other fish types can lead to this conclusion. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because I have had aggressive guppies both male and female in the past, but it's not normative behavior with these fish.

If you want an example, take a tank with an established group of guppies and throw in a few new ones. Now do the same with a tank of african cichlids or sa/ca cichlids. Compare results.

^^^Completely agree^^^

there are different things that could be causing your guppy to be grumpy. Sometimes pregnancy can cause this, I've had guppies try to establish a territory before dropping, odd for a guppy to do but it has happened. It could also be your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph) sometimes if your levels are off, it can cause the guppies to be stressed and in turn become aggressive. IMO check your levels and try putting enough plants in the tank to break the line of aggression. Turning the lights off can also reduce the stress. If it gets bad I would consider separation but that's just my opinion.

Matt68005 said:

That's generally what people say with everytank... Add the most aggressive fish last so all the weaker fish get some territories figured out. But when you introduce that fish it all goes to the way it should have been anyways... An Oscar won't be nice around tetra if it is introduced last. Maybe if he can't catch them...

Back
Top Bottom