Guppies breeding, all advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just bought 4 guppies, 3 females and 1 male, is this the best ration to have in order to breed them? If not, then how many more should i get for optimum breeding? I don't have to worry about the fry, they are for my angelfish :twisted: And if any survive, well thats ok too!

Also, how long after they spawn until they release fry? And how can i tell if they are spawning?

Any other info would be useful as ive never kept guppies before.

The male will chase the female constantly. You'll know when they are spawning because the male will fertilizer her using a modified anal fin called a gonopodium. It takes 30 days or 4wks and the females can be refertilized right after that. The time in between broods can vary. Sometimes it can take longer if they are not in optimum conditions. I think the number you have now is a good one. The larger/older the females, the more fry you can expect.

Thanks, i was thinking of getting 2 more males and 2 more females (my LFS gives a discount for pairs) that would make it 3 males to 5 females.

Don't bother to buy more guppies. Just raise a couple from the first batch of fry. Saves money and won't take too long. Most likely the females are already prego. If you see the big bulging belly, get ready for some fry.

The ratio you have sounds good. If anything, buy 3 females and 1 more male. Since it sounds like your goal is to feed the fry to your angelfish.

I agree maybe one more male to three more females. To many males and they will keep your females stressed and they aren't gonna produce as well for you.

1:3 or 2:5 is about the best ratios....and once they get going, you could see an average of 100-125 fry/month if your females are nice and large.

ummm... one of the females i got was really tiny, like half the size of the rest, and well.. i think my killifish ate her 8O What a waste of $1.50.. lol.

Well, the Killifish didn't eat her, right before i turned off the lights i noticed she was hiding in the plants. So i guess i will just buy 2 more females and one more male to make a nice 2-5 ratio.

Just out of curiosity... do you think i will wind up with any fry surviving or will the angels eat all of them?

If heavily planted a few would make it but most likely the angels along with several of your other tankmates (mom and dad for example) will make quick work of them.

If heavily planted a few would make it but most likely the angels along with several of your other tankmates (mom and dad for example) will make quick work of them.

Awesome.. i know it sounds awful, but this is my goal, to help feed my angels, because i want to get a breeding pair and i read somewhere that feeding them on Guppy Fry is really good for them, and its a cheap way to get live food.

Your angels might get fat and bloated on that many fry! LOL.. If your angels are very big I would assume that the big guppies are in danger..

nah, my angels , well two are about half dollar size, and the rest are still a little over the size of a quarter. Plus, the other fish will eat the fry too right? The Gouramis, killifish, and some of the fry should hide so its not like they will eat them all at once. Thanks for your concern :lol:

My angels grew pretty quick and ate full grown guppies if they were in the tank with them.. I cycled a tank with the guppies... the angels were quarter size when I put them in but after 3-4 months they were big enough to eat the guppies...

I would get a guppy tank if I were wanting to use them as feeders..

I have to agree with greenmagi, once the angels get bigger, even adult guppies look like food. If you get a 10 gal tank for breeding the guppies, just net out the fry and feed the angels.

I have tuxedo platies in with my angels. They pick off most of the fry right away even though there is tons of hornwort and duck weed in there for them to take refuge. Still, one or two usually seems to make it to decent size and show themselves.

I never thought the angels would eat full grown guppies... even when they get bigger... Right now i don't have the time, money, or resources for another tank ... although ive always wanted a guppy tank... But if my guppies do get eatin in say 4 months, could maybe platies or mollies be kept with the angel? How often do these guys reproduce?

Edit... also i was SURE i read somewhere that if you wanted to feed guppy fry to angel fish, its a good idea to just let raise them in the tank with the angels... ill have to dig up the article.

Read my post right above yours about the platies. They reproduce as well/often as guppies do. My angels are large adults a year and a half old and they only eat the tiny babies. I have some younger fish in there that they don't bother. The idea of an angelfish gulping down a full size guppy.... well, that must be a very big, very hungry angelfish. :lol:

Yeah, i read a couple of articles that suggested keeping Guppies with angels so they can eat the fry.

from everywhere ive read its says up to 6" not including fins.

Back
Top Bottom