Guppy Birthing Signs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lozzamogz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a lovely female guppy who is heavily pregnant. It looks like she is due to give birth any day now and I was wondering whether there are signs/behaviours to look out for that indicate she is about to give birth.

I have a hatchery but don't want to put her in there until necessary as it seems a bit cruel.

Also, (less important question) but how old do the fry have to be before the sex can be identified? Want to prevent any inbreeding.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Laura :):fish1:

If she has not had them already, here is what to look for. The front of her chest will look very square and you may notice the males chasing her backend rather than displaying to mate. I'd lock her up then.

As for fry, it really depends on what you feed them and the conditions to determine growth rate. I use live baby brine shrimp and mine sex out totally in less than 4 weeks. If you're just using flake food it will take longer. The male sex organs will typically develop just before they color up so you have to look closely. If you can rear fry in an extra 10gal that is your best bet. With mine, once they are three weeks old I take each one out, put it into a jar and sex it that way. Males go in a divided tank and females back in the rearing tank.

If you have additional questions feel free to P.M. me.

Back
Top Bottom