Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PizzaBoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had some guppies in a small heated tank and wanted to start breeding them. I have two awesome looking males and about five more females. I have some hiding areas and the fish are happy. I think one or two are pregnant but not too sure. My two questions are how do I tell for sure if the guppy is prego and how long dose it toke for the pregnant guppies to give birth???

Their gravid spot will begin to turn a dark color and get bigger as she progresses. They are usual pregnant for about 28 days.

Ok, thanks for the tip. How do I feed the babies and or when do I feed the babies.

I feed my platy fry the tetra minE a tiny pinch twice a day and theyre growing really well

Do you keep the fry in a different tank than the other fish or do you keep the mom with the babies?

They will probably eat them too.. if you want them all to survive I'd separate them.. if you only want 2 or 3 you can leave them with the other fish as long as the tank is heavily planted

Fry can be kept in the same tank if you don't have separate tanks to put them in. It's ideal to have places for them to hide such as fake plants or other decorations. They will get eaten if they dont have anywhere to go, but they can certainly live in the same tank with others.

I have an overpopulation problem right now, i think my fry are super smart ;)

Thanks bro, I just built a little cave with some rocks in my three gallon so my fish can hide. At night the fish my fish hide under it and sleep there so I think that the fry will do the same.:)

This is ridiculous my guppies are very pregnant and have been so for Months! I have had them for about 6 months and they have been prego for 2 1/2. This is getting me crazy can someone explain it!!!

They aren't pregnant for that long. Either there is something wrong or they are just fat. Gestation is normally around a month.

Back
Top Bottom