Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Guppy breeding

I bought both of these. When my female is near labor which should I put her in? And when should I remove the mom?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1400979988.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	167881



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-749734619.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	167882
__________________

__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post
I bought both of these. When my female is near labor which should I put her in? And when should I remove the mom?
I'd use the first. That's the one I have. Take the female out when she's done giving birth
__________________

__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

I'd use the first. That's the one I have. Take the female out when she's done giving birth
What age should I move the babies to the breeder net? I have four pregnant guppies. I bought 2 of the breeder nets..
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post

What age should I move the babies to the breeder net? I have four pregnant guppies. I bought 2 of the breeder nets..
I put the female in the breeder, let her have the fry, put her back in the main tank, and move the fry pretty much immediately... You could wait if there aren't too many, or if you still have to get the tank ready for them. It kind of depends
__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

I put the female in the breeder, let her have the fry, put her back in the main tank, and move the fry pretty much immediately... You could wait if there aren't too many, or if you still have to get the tank ready for them. It kind of depends
I have 4 females in a 10 gallon
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post

I have 4 females in a 10 gallon
That's fine. But you'd want to move the fry to a different tank. unless there are lots of hiding places, the adults will eat them. And even then, some will probably get eaten
__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Yeah use the first one for birthing and then put them in the net, in the main tank. I always leave my female in the trap for 24hrs and let her recover. Feed her well afterwards because they usually don't eat for a few days before the birth. I give her some bloodworm's as a treat. Get some Hikari First Bites for the fry....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Spydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne Vic
Posts: 27
Congrats on having fry, with the net be careful not to have it against the wall of your tank. Leave about a cm gap if at all possible in case any other fish get stuck like mine has in past few days.
__________________
Spydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydon View Post
Congrats on having fry, with the net be careful not to have it against the wall of your tank. Leave about a cm gap if at all possible in case any other fish get stuck like mine has in past few days.
That's a very good piece of advice...
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

That's fine. But you'd want to move the fry to a different tank. unless there are lots of hiding places, the adults will eat them. And even then, some will probably get eaten
I have a 20 gallon that I will be moving the females too . There is a couple male guppies with Cory cats.
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post

I have a 20 gallon that I will be moving the females too . There is a couple male guppies with Cory cats.
How long will it take before I can move the guppy fry to the 20 gallon? So they want get ate
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post

How long will it take before I can move the guppy fry to the 20 gallon? So they want get ate
I would wait unripe they are about 1.5 cm long. That way they can't get eaten or sucked up the filter. Do u have any agressive fish or males in the tank?
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115 View Post

I would wait unripe they are about 1.5 cm long. That way they can't get eaten or sucked up the filter. Do u have any agressive fish or males in the tank?
+1 just as long as they are too big to fit in the other fish's mouths, they can't get eaten.
__________________
fishfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115 View Post

I would wait unripe they are about 1.5 cm long. That way they can't get eaten or sucked up the filter. Do u have any agressive fish or males in the tank?
20 gallon = couple male guppies and Cory's. 10 gallon = 4 pregnant females and ghost shrimp
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
When should I put

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3856733502.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	168976



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3646020883.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	168977



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2377223706.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	168978

this female into the breeding container?
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
I have four pregnant females. One of them had 2 while I was gone but that was two days ago. All of them still have a very dark gravid spot. And all have big bellies. I think it was due to the pressure change when we had a storm. But I am wondering when it will have the rest......
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl1234 View Post
I have four pregnant females. One of them had 2 while I was gone but that was two days ago. All of them still have a very dark gravid spot. And all have big bellies. I think it was due to the pressure change when we had a storm. But I am wondering when it will have the rest......
I would put her in now. Today my pregnant swordail gave birth and she wasn't squared off so yea. You can never be too sure
__________________
GhillieSniper115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
I agree. Put her in but do a 50 water change or a fairly large one, if you can. This can sometimes trigger them.....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Matt68005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,776
I hate to say it but most guppy pros dont use those things. They stress out the female too much. The best way to get fry is to have plants in the tank. Thats all. Its not complicated. Just add water and guppys will breed. Fry are big enough at one week to not be eaten. The reasom we seperate fry is to grow them out. Then seperate m/f at one month old and grow them to 3'-4 months then put color you want into main tank and sell off extras
__________________
Matt68005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I agree. Put her in but do a 50 water change or a fairly large one, if you can. This can sometimes trigger them.....
Been doing 20 percent changes daily.
__________________

__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.