Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came with stand heater filter bubble curtain and other stuff

Question: do you think I could have a grow out tank at 68F?

It's not a sagas factory temperature for guppies, and it will slow the growth of your fry, but if you acclimate your guppies correctly it's possible, but getting a heater would be best :)

I lost all my fry one time when the heater broke and the temp got in the high 60s so I would be careful

My guppies have done fine in the past for a few weeks without a heater when mine broke and the temp was hovering around 68-69. Even gave birth. However, I wouldn't recommend it for trying to grow out fry, the cold slows down their metabolism, they won't eat as much and they will grow more slowly.

Ok so if you have been reading this thread you may have seen my aquaponics and breeder tank set up. So I put a new born fry in there around 2 weeks ago. (Note it is not a heated tank- its around 68-70F) For the past 2 weeks I have not feed him but I did feed the goldfish that the frys tank is inline with. The fry has java moss and some roots of another plant to eat. I looked today at him/her and the fry is the same size if not bigger then the same batch of fry in the heated tank.

My plan is going to be moving the goldfish into my 20g tub with the other goldfish I have. Then moving my female fry in to the tank that the goldfish was in. I will be moving some of the fry outside inless then a month. Once its warm enough.

QUESTION: What colors come in first and at around what age? I know black comes first but what starts next?

Sounds like a good plan! I start noticing yellows shortly after blacks, followed by blues then red/orange. My guppies are mostly black bodied with orange and yellows in the fins with a little blue, so of course you may notice different progression.

Black doesn't always come first, though it very often does, it depends on the breed and genetics. What you can say is that tail fins colour up first then their top fins, then body colours and markings last.

I had a batch of fry that started black. They were maybe a day or less old and they had black bodies and fins, is that normal?

It's all in genetics. I'm sure there are some strains that are more likely to start out with dark colors.

I just had a crazy idea! Ok so I was thinking about how females always get stressed when they are in a breeder box. What if a female guppy grow up in breeder box her most of her life?( like 4weeks old then in to the box) This would help with her getting stressed out and stuff. What do you guys and gals think?

Artist said:
I just had a crazy idea! Ok so I was thinking about how females always get stressed when they are in a breeder box. What if a female guppy grow up in breeder box her most of her life?( like 4weeks old then in to the box) This would help with her getting stressed out and stuff. What do you guys and gals think?

Well, if you stuck a child a closet or a puppy in a crate at a young age and they never knew any different then I could only speculate they would have a very subdued personality... Similar to a betta in a bowl not allowed to stretch his fins and show his true colors...

Edit: UNLESS you meant having time in the box and time out and then back in box... But then again, you'd be looking at quality of life and purpose to feel used to being cramped for the purposes of breeding---- Fish Mills vs. Puppy Mills

Artist said:

I doubt a fish would enjoy that, think about it, imagine a room full of doggies and because you want one to grow up for breeding purposes you raise it in a cage while all the rest are all running around, it's not very fun sounding at all, you'll ruin your fishes personality as well :O

Its just and idea I'm not going to do it. I was just about what they do over seas with there guppies.

Has anyone been to a guppy farm? And if so do you have any pics? Or could you talk about the setups?

Ok,

I have had 3 female guppies and a male for 40 day, was told they were pergo when i got them. they are very large an i have read every internet article ever made of pergo guppies. lol I still can't tell when they are pergo and i stil haven't seen a baby guppy. i have a very well planted 10 gal

Remember, their gestation period is 28-36 days depending on water conditions, and your fish might only be carrying a small batch, because they can hold anywhere from 3-100 babies, and the first batch is usually very small. And the parents WILL eat the babies so just keep an eye out for that! :O

alia258 yea i know all that. I do watch them often and i figure with the heavily planted tank i would get some survivors. Several times i watched carefully and excitedly to to noticed it was only poop coming out. lol

Hey everyone today is update time! I started sexing my first batch of I have ~10 females( I may have more that I cants tell yet) I also have around 8 males. This batch is 5 weeks old. My fry are starting to color up I am starting to see yellow blue and red. I have one male fry that is coloring up different then all the others. He is started to have a red body when the others have gray. I cant wait to see all my fry color up!

Back
Top Bottom