Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I just read 26 pages for this thread! I'm pretty much cross-eyed! lol.

This will be my first babies, from my own fish, my square momma is about to pop. I've never yet had babies that we tried to save, when I was a kid my mom was always hoping the fish would eat them so she wouldn't have to find them homes (yikes).

In the mid 1970's, we had some amazing breeders at our LFS. Other than the special pics of prize winners online, I really haven't seen any as nice as from them when I was a kid. So I was disappointed. When I started looking for guppies again. Ended up with some from a college student who had some juvenile fry which over populated her little 10 gal. Mostly colored up, then three came from another lady who was moving.

Sooooo after a couple months, now I am about to be a gramma!

Also I traded a dozen to another guy and am waiting to get some special fry from some prize winning guppys he has, have to wait a couple more weeks to see better color. I am very excited to pick them!!!

I am so glad to be on AA and to have read 26 pages!!!hahaha to get some insight for my new babies. Tonight I'm putting on my filter intake cover, and wait...
Thanks for all of your contributions, and all your help.

Welcome! If You have any questions feel free to ask. And best of luck with your first drop. Show some pics of your tank setup (everyone loves looking at fish tanks)

I'm getting a new 37 gal tank tomorrow, so in 2-3 weeks I should have a good start on a an awesome low tech planted tank.

Will a Cory eat guppy fry and or ghost shrimp babies? I am thinking I should move him and would a couple Oto's be ok instead?

Also I have a different tank 32 gal half hex, I decided not to use and it is just sitting and getting some brownish algae, would that be a good one to use for babies? and if so would the brownish colored stuff be good for them or should I clean it off first.

This was a tank I have had for about three months cycled and water was good but the filter broke on it so I never put the fish in. It has such a tiny opening at top and I always have my arms in my tanks moving things and cleaning and it was just way too small of a opening to be functional as my main tank.

What I was thinking is I could take off the lid and grow plants out of the top, and maybe use it for the little ones since I already have it. Maybe even put a divider for larger fry and tiny fry...huummm...this is already getting me in trouble, getting too many tanks...lol Any thoughts on using the divider, I have see the homemade craft needle point style. Anyone like these?

Hi, and welcome!

I would love to see how this one comes along!

Cory's are usually very good around fry and won't really bother them, same with baby shrimp. They may eat eggs however, as they clean along. Otto's will not bother much at all, they generally stick to algae and/or any zucchini, etc. that you may treat them with.

What you are talking about, growing the plants out the tank is like a riparium, google them if you have time, they are brilliant. if you removed the lid and had a decent light hung above it you could grow plants out of the water and you could still keep fry in there.

I would clean the algae off as it is very unsightly and could starve nutrients away from any plants you plan on putting in. Plants contain tiny organisms the fry could eat so I would recommend keeping plants in a fry tank.

So excited this morning...I woke up to find 7 fry so far, several look huge to me (for fry) and a couple or sooooo tiny. I guess I didn't move her too soon! lol

I also moved over a young, fairly small female. She looked very dark in her gravid spot.

I crushed some flake and added it for the fry and some garlic food the guppies like and everyone started moving from their stationary/hiding/treading water spots, including momma to swimming like mad eating the food!

Momma went back into the grass.

They are in with my 5 Ghost shrimp and 1 Cory in my daughter's black sand Fluval edge 6.6 newly "planted" with two different moss balls Mondo grass (which I know isn't truly aquatic but is good for hiding and having babies, mini swords and two little other plant stems which name escapes me, along with the little green grass looking artificial ones and a very finely branched plastic one, good for hiding. I will try to get some pics tonight.

Thanks you guys, you probably saved their lives due to the Guppy log.

I am a Grandfishmama!!!

Should I keep posting here or make a new thread? Advice?

You can keep posting here. I started this thread to get help from people and you may think of something I would never have thought about and I would learn something new that could help my fish

And congratulations. Just a tip guppy adults eat fry and I would not keep adults with fry.

Thank you Artist, I will move her when I think she's done. How will I know she is finished? She is med-dark brown in the gravid towards the chest but not right next to her vent. She came out to eat and went back into the grass.

Autumnsky, congratulations on the fry! However, two points about ghost shrimp. First, don't count on ghost shrimp babies because the eggs hatch in a larval stage, and the larvae are near impossible to feed and tend to get sucked into the filter or eaten by fish. I've kept ghost shrimp in their own tank with a super covered filter intake and still only saw maybe one adult shrimp from the five or six berried females I had in the tank, and I removed the adults as their eggs hatched. However, the shrimp larvae may be small enough for some of the fry to eat if the timing is right when the eggs hatch. The second point is that some ghost shrimp are pretty aggressive and have been known to eat small fry. There are a few different species of shrimp that are sometimes sold as ghost shrimp, and some of them are more aggressive. Also, sometimes macrobrachium shrimp get mixed in, which get much larger and go after small shrimp. So just be cautious and keep an eye on the shrimp, and if you see them going after any fry just get them out.

Autumn sky...

SEPARATE your fry and the ghost shrimp immediately!!!! My ghost shrimp eat babies!!
I found out the hard way! Mine dart and swam after older ones too and managed to drag them around and kill/eat alive 1/4" babies!!

Ooooooohhhhhh...sounds bad, I will move them, so far the fry are mostly right at the top and in the plants, haven't even seen them go towards the bottom and have 11 now. I was hoping the shrimp would drop off the the babies underneath, they look like little shrimp waving under there, the other berried one still looks like sort of circular but getting more shrimp like.

I'm taking other member's idea of keeping them fed well too. Little amounts frequently.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Another question...

BTW, I think I have 16 babies.

How long do they normally give birth, hours, days??? Her gravid spot is much lighter but still looks dark inside and she's been pooping up a storm.

It can be 1-24hours I would bet she's done but once she looks a lot smaller just put her back in the other tank. If she has some more, scoop them out.

Mine only had 11 babies but it took her quite awhile. Just keep a sharp eye on her and once she's slimmed out take her out. She might've already produced and fertilized a second batch of eggs inside her already, so that might be it (that's what happened with mine, she's so fat, she's fatter than the day she had hat babies and she's barely two weeks along!)

That may explain the darkish color I still see deeper inside. Good info, I didn't realize they could do that. No wonder they have so many babies.

I took her out a little earlier. Thank you!!!

You're welcome my friend :) my fish is so fat, she's gonna have a ton, do you want some baby guppies by any chance?

Most of the males I have came from the College girl and they look like Fire Red (Google) and some have a little sword on the bottom of the tails, and one male Endler, my females are pale blue tail with spots, yellow tail clear, yellow with spots, and plain and a couple with yellow and red spots.

My SD card on my phone blipped out and I had to get a new one, so I will have to take new pics of everything. I am getting ready for my new tank - maybe setting up Mon. or Wed. just to get it up and running. though I am still trying to decide which tank on which stand, to change places move furniture, etc. lol

My kids started calling me crazy fish lady. My husband just tilts his head and and gives me that look...

I am looking to simplify my life and having baby guppies and trying for more guppies and yada yada yada is fun I am just noticing it's taking sooooo much time. And to think I had one nice tank set-up and one Betta, simple ha ha ha ha. This is an infectious hobby!

The Guppies I would like are purple, snake and or Cobra, leopard, most blues - big tails, greenish ones, maybe white.

It all started in a watering trough at my Grandparent's little farm where they kept some sheep and I found bunches of guppies, pretty little Guppies....in the watering trough.

I am an addict!!!

Back
Top Bottom