Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Artist said:
Catching fry tips:$

Get a small net around 1-2 inchs (around $1-2)
bend it at the net so it has about a 45 degree on it

Scoop up the fry from under them. Its hard at first but once you do it couple times you will see how much faster you can catch them. (works on bigger fish as well)

Good idea... Earlier this week I spent half an hour trying to scoop up newborn guppy fry from my tank. Of course I had to rearrange everything, and scooping up fry with a 4 inch net is no easy task. Saved about 15, though, and they are doing great so far.

I've been feeding freeze dried bloodworms. All I do is take a bit between my thumb and index finger, then rub them together to make a fine powder. I've never lost a baby. As they get a little older and larger I feed frozen baby brine, then regular brine and cut up frozen blood worms. During this time I alternate with the regular Tetra color food flakes that will one day be their main diet.

Namaste,
Gypsy

Does anyone have a pic of a 4week old guppy male? I'm having a had time telling sex

I think it would help me if I saw a pic of that I am looking for on the fry to see if they are male

I usually can't sex mine at 4 weeks, they all look female. I have some week old fry right now, though, and in three weeks I will do my best to try and sex them and get pictures for you.

It's easiest if you just start out separating the females. The make WON'T have the gravis spot.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Just joined the thread, read all 10 pages I have a 3 tank set up for breeding my guppies now, main tank is males and a pretty tank, the next is a smaller tank for my females and the third is a fry and birthing tank either of the smaller tanks is breeding depending on if I want a random breed or a specific breed will post pics however recently lost my marvelous male an the girl I called mummy fish.

All are still in progress big tank is getting bigger this weekend, middle tank need some decision and fry tanks heater just died

Attachments

• image-2918090275.jpg
    image-2918090275.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3229621088.jpg
    image-3229621088.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4285452944.jpg
    image-4285452944.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 69
Here is my best makes the little guy with one point does not seem to be getting bigger any ideas?

Attachments

• image-355679491.jpg
    image-355679491.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-999492732.jpg
    image-999492732.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 73
I drew a pic with the difference between the males and females! Here ya go!

View attachment 83623

Notice the difference in anal fins? That's the main separation between males and females! Sometimes with males you can also see their private parts, but their anal fins usually do a good job of hiding it ^^

joyaust said:
Here is my best makes the little guy with one point does not seem to be getting bigger any ideas?

He may just be small. You never know he could grow some more only time will tell.

Haha I'm not really that talented! I could've done better if I wasn't drawing so fast! But thanks for thinking I'm talented!

No fry yet, but keeping a close watch on Noir, her gravid spot was black yesterday so I think ah might pop soon! I'm on my way home, I'll update when I get home :)

How's cruella been? She looks like she snuck another golfball! Those are addicting little suckers! ;)

In my opinion, not reliable. You can get fancy females with bigger fins and fatter males who look more rounded. You have to wait for the bottom fin to start to get pointier and more translucent/opaque. Mind you if I were to guess the sex of them fry I would agree with what that picture shows.

I would venerable say no, either the older fry would eat all the food before the younger ones get to it, or, more likely, the older ones will eat the younger ones. That's what I was told anyway!

image-3449813701.jpg

image-3852074459.jpg

New fry. Non of the females have slimmed or lost gravid stop prob still more to come.
Never believed how small these things were even my glow light managed to eat one.

Artist said:
Can you put month old fry with 3 month old fry?

NO...
I even had a bad experience with newborn & 6 wk old fry... I put newborns in tank as they were born... Pulling them out of my main tank... And to my horror quickly found older babies with newborns clutched in their mouths.., LUCKILY only lost 3-4... Caught that mistake immediately.

Back
Top Bottom