Guppy Breeding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgan_got_fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
The other day i set up a 2.5 gallon bow front fish tank. I was just wondering if i will be able to breed my guppys in there. I already bought 3 females today and i moved one of my males into this tank. The tanks temperature is around 72 degrees. Seems like its to cold right now?
Any advice?

Attachments

• image-2517847420.jpg
    image-2517847420.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1692564977.jpg
    image-1692564977.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-405113728.jpg
    image-405113728.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 65
Idk if its too cold but its definitely too small to keep any of your fish in. Not even factoring in the babies they will make, this tank is wayyy too small those guppies should have at least a 10 gallon before babies

Ohh noo, i move the babies to a seperate tank to keep them from being eaten. I would just use this right now for the actual breeding and raise the fry in a different tank.

Personally i would use the tank for fry. What tank are you moving them to? Like what size?

Concerning the temp, I keep my fry tank at 79° they seem to do better when the tank is a little warmer. Warmer water gets their metabolism going, with a higher metabolism they eat more and grow faster. But take in consideration that the more they eat the more waste they produce which means more water changes

I plan on moving them to a 5 gallon, depending on how many fry are born. Then the temperature thing, my room usually gets hotter during summer and im guessing my tank will be a little warmer by then.

i put my guppy tank at around 78 or so they are much more active when its warmer and i agree that you should have at least a 10gal for breeding.

Guppies are livebearers so the breeding process is extremely fast. Odds are that if your females have had any contact with males anytime in the last few months they are probably already pregnant. To sum things up, you don't need a breeding tank for them.

As far as the temperature thing goes, I keep them in everything from low 70s room temp to low 80s outside. They do better in the upper 70s/low 80s but they are just fine at my room temp as well.

Okay, makes sense. I pretty much keep theese 3 females in the little tank because if i keep them in my 10 gallon they will be outnumbered by males.

Do you have a bigger tank 10 gallons plus if so I would breed them in there and put the babies in the 2.5 :)

Back
Top Bottom