guppy females

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is possible the ammonia affected the weaker fish. It is a small amount of ammonia so that may not be the cause. It might have been as you said a bad batch. How did you acclimate them?

30 minutes in the bag in the tank, then dumped them into a fishnet over a bucket, then dropped em into my tank (didn't trust his water)

They almost all had bent spines and had trouble swimming. I did notice that the males were getting skinnier. I'm wondering if they just couldn't get any food? became weak, and the ammonia took em out?

I have to tijii cories and a small clown loach in there as my cleanup crew, so they wouldn't get scraps fallen to the bottom like normal.

My mom and I were contemplating (she wanted me to) cull the guppies with a bent spine. Guess nature did it for me :S

also, the thing is... even though those fish were dying left right and centre... i haven't lost a SINGLE guppy fry. All 30 of them are still alive! You think they'd be espically vulnerable to it.

I know that any ammonia is bad, but what seems to be the "redline" in your experience/reading?

If you had the same amount of males to females, or more males than females, the males could have stressed the females to death. I have about 20-25 adult/juvenile fancy guppies and about 10-15 fry right now...my guppies are (all but two or three) pregnant, as they usually are... i haven't found any fry for quit a while now..either because they get eaten by any other fish or sucked up in the filter... but anyways.... The ratio of females to males should be at least 2:1, preferably 3:1. My males were so aggresive i moved them into another tank,then had to move one of the bigger guys back, because he wasn't patterned w/ black, he was just a plain,vibrant yellow.. and all the other males were trying to breed w/ him because they thought he was a female...The males could have weakened your females and eventually killed them by their...persistance to breed...(i guess thats what you'd call it...)i would suggest haveing more females than males or separating them if possible...then when you want more babies you can just put them in together...

I have a 1:1 right now, but the male guppies are slow (red-eye guppies) and the females are big and fast. They also aren't getting chased as much as i would have thought.

Lol... confused guppies, eh?

Back
Top Bottom