Guppy fries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igongora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

yesterday i went to my local fish store, and I saw a female guppy, it seemed pregnant, so I purchased, and I placed it on a separte tank, this morning, it's big swollen belly was gone, but I couldn't see the fries. Would it be possible the guppy wasn't pregnant? or is it that fires take some time to show up? i have a frew living plants would be possible they're hidding?

thanks

Do you have any other fish in the tank? They could have eaten them, but guppies will also eat their own fry.

Most guppy fry I have seen were near the surface of the tank, although it is possible that they are hiding in the plants.

Nope, I divided the tank so that the guppy would be by herself, but this mourning.. I couln't see anything.. I can't wait to go back home and check whether I see a guppy fry...

i had a few females in a tank and wouls wake up to fry all the time but in the mornig i might only see 1 or 2 then by the time i get home i see like 40-50. they are very good at hiding. but there is a very high chance that the mother could have eaten them. happens to me all the time. i stoipped caring lol after i had like 30 babies in my tank that i didnt try to save and i still have soo many of them. make good cichlid food though lol

Hehehe.. LOL I would like to breed guppies .. they look gorgeous.. and some times I would like to feed my angles, barbs and danios zebras with guppies fries..

my guppys used to eat most or all of their fry and I had to separate several to raise them... but now, they dont seem to be eating any and I've got 2 males getting busy every chance they get - counted about 16 fry in the tank last night and as of last Saturday, I had 4.

It is also possible she had just gorged herself and was bloated from eating - guppys tend to do that if they're overfed.

Well I guess today when I get home I will know wether she was overfed or pregnant.. But I'm hopping to see at least one guppy fry..

Long ago I had sword tails, and I startes with about 5, and after a few month I had more than a hundred. I hope I can do same thing with guppies..

If the frys did dissappear, the female can have a few more pregnacy from one fertalization.

If you do get a male guppy, you will most likely be successfull.

Raise the water temperature to 78 degrees and feed them blood worms once per day. Change water regularly(at least once per week) and before you know it, you'll see frys swimming around in your tank. Plants seem to help as well. Especially because it gives the frys a place to hide so they don't get eaten.

Moved to Breeding forum.

Guppy fry can hide very well IMO. I have several fry, actually well over a hundred. Most of them hide in the plants the first few days.

Hi there.. I guess I won't be able to tell wether the guppy was pregnant or not.. I just came from work.. and my wife's grandma just moved the plastic wall that protected the guppy, so found some of my danios zebras and my rosy barbs swimming along with my guppy... :(

Well if she was pregnant then, she will be giving birth again in a month or so.. besides that i've got a male... so I'm just gonna have to wait some time.. :(

thank you all for the advices..

elmware I have not been able to get blood worms in my LFS, so I am feeding them with flakes and some other foods that I have been able to get..

Now the guppy is swimming with the other fish and its abdomen looks normal, but doen't want to eat.. I don't know if I should wait a little more or what... i have 2 angels, 4 cory cats and 1 black moore, 4 goldfish and 4 guppies (2 males and 2 females)..

thanks..

Back
Top Bottom