Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Guppy Fry

Hi, my guppy just had her little babies. I only found two and they have been seperated from their mother, and right now I have them in a 3 gallon tall tank with a heater that keeps the water at 78 degrees, and an air pump and a filter that is under the gravel so they won't get sucked up, and I have been feeding them crushed up adult tetra flakes. I'm just wondering if my guppy would have any more? It has been 3 days, and she is still a little round, but this is her first time ever having babies, and my first time with them. Can I have some advice on raising the fry and keeping them healthy?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like so far you are doing everything right. How many fry did she drop? It is possible that she is not done yet. I had one guppy go a week and drop more but it was only 3 or 4.. but that was once and im pretty sure she dropped the first bc i did a water change. Try to get to the store and buy first bites. From my personal ecperience they seem to like that the best. Also if your local fish store has baby brine shrimp for sale they are usually pretty cheap for a bunch of them. Gives the little ones something to work at.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixiemixie View Post
Hi, my guppy just had her little babies. I only found two and they have been seperated from their mother, and right now I have them in a 3 gallon tall tank with a heater that keeps the water at 78 degrees, and an air pump and a filter that is under the gravel so they won't get sucked up, and I have been feeding them crushed up adult tetra flakes. I'm just wondering if my guppy would have any more? It has been 3 days, and she is still a little round, but this is her first time ever having babies, and my first time with them. Can I have some advice on raising the fry and keeping them healthy?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Trix...

Keep the water pure by removing and replacing half the water every week. Float a bushy stem plant like Anacharis in the tank and feed a good diet of frozen fish foods.

B
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterashley View Post
Sounds like so far you are doing everything right. How many fry did she drop? It is possible that she is not done yet. I had one guppy go a week and drop more but it was only 3 or 4.. but that was once and im pretty sure she dropped the first bc i did a water change. Try to get to the store and buy first bites. From my personal ecperience they seem to like that the best. Also if your local fish store has baby brine shrimp for sale they are usually pretty cheap for a bunch of them. Gives the little ones something to work at.
Thankyou! Um I'm not sure exactly how many she dropped because I honestly wasn't expecting her to have them just yet and I wasn't home. I just found two
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixiemixie View Post

Thanks in advance!
I have had my platy fry in a 3 gallon tank too. The cleaner the water, the faster they grow. I changed 50% of the water every single day. They grew very fast doing this.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyKisses View Post

I have had my platy fry in a 3 gallon tank too. The cleaner the water, the faster they grow. I changed 50% of the water every single day. They grew very fast doing this.
Oh thats very good. I do the same with my fry cept i do 50 percent every other day. and they seem to grow very fast as well. The cleaner the water the happier they are
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have to females, one is still very large, and the other one is a little smaller, but her gravid spot is still a dark color and did not go back to the normal color, could she still be trying to let some more drop?
And thankyou for all of the advice.

Tags
fry, guppy, guppy fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com