Guppy Fry Adoption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had two male guppies in a 10-gallon tank. A few days later I got them some friends: another male and a female. The female gave birth to 18-20 fry the very next day (I guess I bought her already very pregnant). After giving birth, the males harassed the female to the point where I feared that she would soon die of stress, so (sadly) I returned her to the LFS where she would be better off (they won't take her fry, though).

Now, however, I'm stuck with all of these (cute, but unwanted) fry in a tank that will very soon be too small for all of them. The three male guppies, one male molly, four neon tetras, and dwarf African frog are (for better or for worse) completely ignoring the fry. I'd be ok if "nature took its course" and they were eaten, but I can't bring myself to harm them, myself.

I'm open to any suggestions here. They can't stay in my tank due to space constraints. I don't want any money for them, and I'd like them to go to a good home (or LFS, at the very least).

I think that is pretty typical guppy behavior. Most recommend keeping at least 2-3 females per each male so that the males don't harass the females or each other. Have you tried finding the fry homes through your local Craigslist?

I sell my extra guppies on Craigslist. I usually wait until they're at least half grown though.

You could always cut back on feeding your fish. Maybe the frogs would take care of your problem.

Filbey: unfortunately, I'm rather far away (Michigan, USA)

BigJim: I tried skipping a few feedings, but nothing happened and I felt bad and gave them food. How old is half-grown???

my african dwarf frog ate about half of my fry my last batch.
do you have any local pet stores that would buy them?

fishfreak23 said:
my african dwarf frog ate about half of my fry my last batch.
do you have any local pet stores that would buy them?

My ADF and my molly seem to go out of their way to avoid eating the fry!

A lot of pet stores will buy guppy fry as feeder fish even if not for sale as ornamentals. Do some ringing around and see who picks up the phone.

Tim Wheatley said:
A lot of pet stores will buy guppy fry as feeder fish even if not for sale as ornamentals. Do some ringing around and see who picks up the phone.

Cool. Apparently a LFS (non-chain) here in town will buy/take them. However, not until they're over 1/2 inch long.

A) how long will that be?
B) will they put a excessive bio-load on my tank in the mean time?

No idea on time, sorry. I have guppies breeding in my puffer tank but the puffer takes out most of the babies. So I don't know that one.

They should not add much. 10 gallon is pretty sensitive to changes though, it is just the two adults, right?

Never kept frogs... Don't know about them. Neons have light bio load but the guppies and molly tend to poop a lot. You could just alter your maintenance routine to compensate. Change water more often and be very sure to not overfeed (to reduce the amount of food rotting in the substrate).

There are plenty of guppy keepers in this forum with overloaded tanks. Just up your maintainance schedule a little and all will be fine.

It hard to not overpopulate when it comes to guppies.

Mid-Michigan, Tri-Cities area.

I'm in Lansing, were close but not close enough to drive to get guppies. Oh well, probably about an hour drive I figure. If you were in the Lansing area, I would have given the fry a good home.

Lawngnome said:
I'm in Lansing, were close but not close enough to drive to get guppies. Oh well, probably about an hour drive I figure. If you were in the Lansing area, I would have given the fry a good home.

I get down to (East) Lansing quite often. It's more like a 1:40 drive - definitely too far to drive with young fish.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Back
Top Bottom