Guppy Fry HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulysses-31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI guys

On friday i was sitting by my fish tank and was surprised to see 2 tiny little eyes looking back at me.. I realised that it must be a guppy fry. I instantly went into panic mode and ran round like an idiot trying to find something to get him out with before he got eaten....Then there was two fry then three. i collected them up and put them safely into a breading trap. But i just looked again today (Sunday)and saw two more at the back of the tank. i have put them with the other fry. I was just wondering... Will the mother guppy have given birth to them all at once or is delivery spread over a few days. Cause should i put the mother in the breading tank. Help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

her delivery is spread out, so as long as she doesn't eat them you could put her in the tank. just take her out afterwards. congrats ;) soon you will be sick of guppy fry.

Yeah. you should probably just leave her in the main the tank. You'll have so many that it's not worth stressing the poor girl guppy by putting her in the breeding tank. Just keep scooping the babies out.

These mommy fish spend their lives being chased by males, getting pregnant, growing fat, having babies and the cycle just cotinues on a monthly basis. Poor things--we shouldn't take them out of their homes and put them in breeding tanks if we don't have to.

I mean with guppies and platies--these fry come nonstop no matter where they're born. Put the babies in a separate tank if you don't want them to be eaten. Some people even say that if your tank is big enough and has enough plants and hiding spots that you can just leave the babies in there--survival of the fittest. My tank is a 10gallon so I take them out because my zebra danios are always on the hunt.
Good luck!
littletank

Back
Top Bottom