guppy growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebluespirit

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppy fry are about 2 wks old and still pretty small. Ive fed them mainly powdered egg yolk as tgey seem to avoid crushed flakes at tjis stage.
How large should my guppies be at 2 weeks and also after a month

Any chance of a photo ?

These are my guppy fry after 6 days If I remember

Attachments

• image-3161080669.jpg
    image-3161080669.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 151
They are barely a 1cm. Ill try and get a picture tomorrow. I have one from Saturday

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121218_214628.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121218_214628.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 132
Just keep doing a little higher than normal feeding and frequent water changes. They go through growth spurts, like us. Like one day my fry will look tiny then the next they look like they obviously grew.
Have fun raising them!

Yes and you need to keep your water amazing! Other wise they will have a glower growth rate and could runt out. Have you tried feeding them freshly hatched brine shrimp. The fry are most likely big enough to eat them and it's a great source of nutrients! That's all I feed my kribs in the early stages life. Once the yolk sack is absorbed.

Yes and you need to keep your water amazing! Other wise they will have a glower growth rate and could runt out. Have you tried feeding them freshly hatched brine shrimp. The fry are most likely big enough to eat them and it's a great source of nutrients! That's all I feed my kribs in the early stages life. Once the yolk sack is absorbed.

You really don't have to keep the water chemistry that amazing... I have guppies breeding like crazy in a 55g and let's just say their tank isn't my highest priority right now. Everyone seems to think there's a challenge to breeding guppies, yet they breed very willingly in almost any environment, to my experience.

I highly recommend feeding "Baby Bites" for the fry. I forget the brand since I don't have the bottle with me, but it is a white bottle with a turning red lid. The food is a nice fine powder for the fry, and it's easier and cheaper than hatching or buying Brine.

The better the water chemistry the better and quicker the fry will grow. It's the same with all fish not just guppies. And there is also decapsuled brine shrimp eggs that you just drop in apparently. I myself like to hatch them and it's very cheap for me to do so. I still haven't had to buy any eggs yet my lfs's just give them to me. Maybe you can strike a deal with them when you bring in some fry and get some eggs. It really is the best food for fry as far as i am concerned. It has great nutrient in them and the quicker you feed them the more there is. The shrimp have the yolk sac attach to them and just like baby fish this yolk sac has enough food to support them. If you wan to get really serious you could even raise the extra shrimp and freeze them. There are also a lot of homemade food you can feed them also but Since the fry aren't that small you will probably be able to just feed crushed up flake food for them. You can also purchase liquid food but I don't see that being a must. They should be able to eat the majority of food if you crush it up.

No doubt that better quality water means more breeding, I'm just saying that its not exactly necessary.

One other tip is to have plenty of plants for the fry to live in. This will up their survival rate when hiding from predators like their parents.

+1 on the plants! The more the better until you don't have any swimming space.

Theyre 3 or 4weeks old now. Botb still alive and have managed to escape my homemade fry trap. Seem fine swimming in tank.and mother doesnt seem twant to eat them. Tankhas a little java fern, sagittaria, wisteria floating and a couple of marimo.

I fed mostly powdered egg yolk but they seem to like crushed flake foid now aswell.

I'd like to feed bbs but as there's only 2 fry and one female i don't think its practical. If i ever have a big batch fry tgen i'll definitely try ot as everyone has said how great it is. The mother guppy seems a little fat. I wonder if shes pregnant again.

You could put you house on it that she's pregnant again lol

i would feed mine egg yolk for the first week or so then i went to crushed flake.i would feed them about 7 times a day and clean the breeder box twice a day

Back
Top Bottom