Guppy having babies now!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooo congrats dogartist!! Fry...yay *grin*

Not sure how to tell she's done; hopefully one of our guppy gurus will pop in with that info.

OooO my guppy had babies today TOO! basically I just left her in fishing net all day since I was at school lol...I put a piece of java fern in there. She should be done when you see her significally smaller.

Thanks guys.PK how many did yours have?..I put her in a small tank I had fixed for her..She had 2 more in there and so far that's it..about 20 that I could count..They should be really beautiful fish..Im keeping the males and giving the females to a friend.. :D ..got to do some reading for info ..I made their food like the powder suggested on this site ..They got here fast and hungry. :)

I just have feeder guppies but I think they are gorgeous haha. Well plus 2 fancy guppies. I use a breeder net (ooo tisk tisk right?) but hehe I she had 25 babies. I use a 2 breeder net method...once I think the mother is done I put her in the other net for a few hours before releasing her back into the main aquarium. I have a 10 gal cycling for a fry tank now. Once its cycled I will be placing all fry + pregnat mother in the 10 gal. I also need to add extra filtration to my 12 gal. I think I'm going to add a sponge filter to help increase the bio-load. Eclipse are hard to incrance filitration for. Either a sponge filter or corner filter seems to be my only option.

PK, there really is nothing wrong with useing a breeder net. I used one for a long time before I realized that I couldn't get rid of the fry fast enough to keep up with the females.

Good idea on putting the mother in another net to give her a rest. She will need all the rest she can get before those males get a hold over her again (or at least try to). I think that the 10 gallon fry tank is a good idea. Just watch out that you don't have a huge difference with fry later on down the road. The larger fry tend to pick on the newborns and will in fact peck them to death.

Dogartist, birthing can take up to 24 hours and it can be really hard to tell when she is done having fry because she might still have a gravid spot. PK Tester was right on with the female looking much smaller when she is done.

Good luck both of you on your fry!!

-Jim

Congrats indeed! My bfs guppies had fry yesterday! We have didn't use a breeder net or anything cause we had just bought them at the store! They were in the tank for only 2 hours! It was quite interesting and unexpected!

Back
Top Bottom