Guppy help!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always feed them before I go to school then again after 8hours then I feed them before bed or around 6 more hours

Feeding right after a move or when you first get them home isn't usually recommended, after the stress of being moved many fish just don't want to eat, and the uneaten food will end up fouling the water. Just feed as you normally do, and perhaps feed a little less that night at first in case they aren't hungry. If they eat what is offered you can offer her a bit more.

Just add a very small pinch so she knows she's still going to be offered food in her new home, but not enough to foul the water before your next pwc :)

How quickly is the fattening up and then slimming down? And has your temperature been remaining very stable? I'm just wondering if it could be mild dropsy?
I had a couple of temperature swings and noticed a couple of guppies (including a male) got pot bellies (even had the squared off appearance) during a temperature spike. They were all displaying classic "labor symptoms", even the male. They were swimming up and down the sides of the glass and then hiding in the plants and moss at the bottom. A few of them had given birth within the last two weeks, and the male obviously isn't about to pop out fry, lol, but they were all looking and acting like they were about to. And once the temperature want down to normal they all slimmed back down within two days and not a fry in sight... The fish effected by this haven't showed any symptoms of dropsy unless there's a temperature spike.

Affected, not effected my friend! :) what is dropsy anyway?

Lol I always switch those two... Dropsy is a swim bladder malfunction, caused by a wide variety of bacterial viral or parasitic infections, The swim bladder gets huge and gives the fish a bloated appearance, I think its caused by liver or kidney damage but not sure, and in late stages the fishes scales will protrude and give a pine-cone appearance, which is caused by improper fluid regulation.
And since bacteria have a faster metabolism at higher temperatures, symptoms usually get worse with temp increases.

Off topic and chit chat posts have been deleted. Please keep this thread on topic and refrain from chit chatting. We have a chat room available as well as a private messaging system if you would like to chat. Thank you.

KlcoKN said:
Lol I always switch those two... Dropsy is a swim bladder malfunction, caused by a wide variety of bacterial viral or parasitic infections, The swim bladder gets huge and gives the fish a bloated appearance, I think its caused by liver or kidney damage but not sure, and in late stages the fishes scales will protrude and give a pine-cone appearance, which is caused by improper fluid regulation.
And since bacteria have a faster metabolism at higher temperatures, symptoms usually get worse with temp increases.

Dropsy is a symptom of fluid buildup in the body, usually due to organ malfunctions, especially kidney failure. I don't think it has much to do with the swim bladder, though, it is fluid buildup in the body cavity that makes them swell up. It can be caused by various infections that damage the internal organs and is typically a sign that it is too late for a cure because too much damage has been done. I wouldn't worry too much about this in the guppy in question, though, as long as her scales look ok, she is acting normally, and the increase in size is limited to the area that was large when she was pregnant. Odds are she just impregnated herself again quickly. Just keep an eye out for behavior that is out of the ordinary.

My brine shrimps started breeding :D and some eggs hatched already :D

That's great! Brine shrimp are very good for fish to eat! :D

She gave birth this morning,
Btw API aquarium salt works as well as any other salt for brine shrimp

Attachments

• image-351903032.jpg
    image-351903032.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image-460388694.jpg
    image-460388694.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 66
SkullAngel said:
Btw API aquarium salt works as well as any other salt for brine shrimp
That was a given, LOL. Any kind of salt works.

I use marine salt for brine shrimp, but I already have it on hand anyway. Hmm... Maybe I'll set up a hatchery today...

Back
Top Bottom