Guppy help!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
That was a given, LOL. Any kind of salt works.

But it's best for fry food cuz u don't really have to rinse it out

SkullAngel said:
But it's best for fry food cuz u don't really have to rinse it out

I wouldn't say it's best. It may be the easiest, though. In a lot of cases you wouldn't want to add aquarium salt to the tank either, so I would rinse them regardless of the type of salt used. I don't think aquarium salt hatches them as well as marine salt, though.

Mine hatches in 18 hours, and it's API aquarium salt, so it helps with the gills

SkullAngel said:
Mine hatches in 18 hours, and it's API aquarium salt, so it helps with the gills

I know, it doesn't matter what brand it is. I meant that more eggs hatch in marine salt compared to aquarium salt. It doesn't help with the gills of all fish. It hurts fish that don't have scales, such as cories and dwarf puffers. My point is that it may benefit your tank to not rinse it, but in many cases it just causes problems with snails and fish.

All I have is guppies, a betta and ghost shrimp, I don't need to be lectured, I do my research, if I wanted to be lectured then I would ask -.-

SkullAngel said:
All I have is guppies, a betta and ghost shrimp, I don't need to be lectured, I do my research, if I wanted to be lectured then I would ask -.-

Exactly my point-it benefits your situation, but not every one else's. I wasn't lecturing you, I was making sure you got the right idea. You made it seem like aquarium salt helps ALL fish, and i explained why that is not true.

I like to use Hikari Microbites for my guppies and I crush it up for the fry and they have been getting sooo big.

Also I feed momma guppy while she is having the babies, after she pops a few and is waiting for more to come. Just tiny few dots of the Microbites she eats them and you can tell when she isn't hungry any more and/or till she swims away to have more babies. Good luck with the next batch.

alia258 said:
Oh really? I never knew! I'm sorry! I was told that they couldn't handle the cold lower than 68! Stupid pet stores with false data :(

Do you need a heater I have other fish and they seem. Fine

Guppy Breeder said:
Do you need a heater I have other fish and they seem. Fine

Depends if your house is warm, it's best to keep the temp around the 70s-82

Autumnsky said:
I like to use Hikari Microbites for my guppies and I crush it up for the fry and they have been getting sooo big.

Also I feed momma guppy while she is having the babies, after she pops a few and is waiting for more to come. Just tiny few dots of the Microbites she eats them and you can tell when she isn't hungry any more and/or till she swims away to have more babies. Good luck with the next batch.

Females release a hormone during birth to prevent hunger and eating the babies for 12 hours or so

SkullAngel said:
Females release a hormone during birth to prevent hunger and eating the babies for 12 hours or so

I disagree. They may produce the hormone, but they can still starve and eat babies. Its happenned to me.

maxwellag said:
I disagree. They may produce the hormone, but they can still starve and eat babies. Its happenned to me.

I agree with that statement, the strength and duration of the hormone often vary between fish and births, and is completely nonexistent in some guppies, and so it's safest to give the female something to nibble on during birth because once she's done she'll be starving anyway

Quick question, when can I tell what shape will the tail of my fry will be, ex: lyre tail, top sword, bottom sword, double sword

Generally your guppies will slowly grow into the tail, about two weeks said one source where another said a month and a half. I believe that it mostly depends on water quality and how much they're fed.

Sadly mine first batch of guppies died when they were a month old :( due to a heat wave, but 3 weeks ago my guppy gave birth again.......I noticed black was the first color

I heard (from on here) that the colors go:
Black
Blue
Red
Orange
Green
Yellow

In the general order about two weeks apart for each. I don't have any info to back that up, mine are about a month and are still at the black stage, but if you'd like I can update you on which colors I see and when :) my guppy had babies last weekend, but I didn't save them this time, because I don't have a home for them. My mom says we should work something out with our neighbors and let the next batch be turtle food...not so sure on that one, but their other way to go is being eaten by the tanks current inhabitants...tough cookie here...sigh :<

I still need to ask my LFS to see if they would by them or trade, cuz I want to selectively breed my guppies to hopefully get a lyre tail snakeskin guppy :D

Back
Top Bottom