Guppy just had babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy04

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a female guppy from the lfs, so the females would out number the males in my tank, and while I was acclimating the female she started having babies. I've never had baby fish before so I don't know what to do with these little guys. What do I feed them? Should I get a baby net and put them in the big tank? How long does it take for the female to have all the babies? It's been about an hour and theirs 7 so far. Thanks for all the help

Get a breaded box or net and place it in your tank and put the pregnant mother and the babies in there until she doesn't pop out anymore. Then crush fish flakes into the place where you have the babies they need to eat a ton of food daily! It is very fun keeping babies but try not to get overstocked! If they all survive maybe you can resell them to your lfs for store credit!

Get a breaded box or net and place it in your tank and put the pregnant mother and the babies in there until she doesn't pop out anymore. Then crush fish flakes into the place where you have the babies they need to eat a ton of food daily! It is very fun keeping babies but try not to get overstocked! If they all survive maybe you can resell them to your lfs for store credit!

Sounds good, I'm going to go and get a net. As of right now I have the mother in the acclimating bowl I'm using and scooping out they babies into a glass bowl with water from my tank, is that ok in the mean time? Also some of the babies are in small little balls wiggling around, will they come out eventually?

I think they will "come out" it might not be best to move them from one tank to another they could die from stress but it will be fine just get a net as soon as possible. Can you take pictures of the babies please:)

Yes I will post some pictures, just heading out to get a net for them

Here's the best I could do for photos, enjoy

Attachments

• image-994267548.jpg
    image-994267548.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3147851968.jpg
    image-3147851968.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-528867868.jpg
    image-528867868.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 62
Yeas that will be fine they grow quite fast you'll be surprised

That's good, I think I have about 18 of them that serviced so far. Question, I've read that a female guppy can hold a males semen for 6 cycles of fry. Does that mean she won't mate with the other males until she's done all her cycles?

I have a pregnant female marble molly from an unknown fish but my black molly still gets very close to her, I hope this helps as I'm not to sure myself

That's good, I think I have about 18 of them that serviced so far. Question, I've read that a female guppy can hold a males semen for 6 cycles of fry. Does that mean she won't mate with the other males until she's done all her cycles?

Yes this is true. Most livebearing fish will hold sperm for a period of time using it to fertilize their eggs before they receive new sperm. During this period of time they will not need to mate again until the sperm is used.

Back
Top Bottom