Guppy Pregnancy Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEATTLEWINTER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 pregnant guppys i estimate that they maybe close to giving birth, Ive never bred guppys before and they dont appear to big to me but have big black gravid spots. Today all three are at the top of the tank in one corner, Water parameters are ok is this a sign there going into labour?

Regards

JW

It is quite possible. They should look as if they are going to burst with babies. Can you post a pic?

When you say your parameters are ok I hope you mean ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and you have some nitrates. What temp is your tank at?

I wouldnt go so far as to say they were going to burst, but i think i saw some black dots(eyes) in the gravid spot of one of them. Water parameters are in the correct frame and temp is 74F.

Thanks for your input

here are the pics of the guppys

Attachments

• dsc03784_115.jpg
    dsc03784_115.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 52
  • dsc03786_172.jpg
    dsc03786_172.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 57
  • dsc03788_115.jpg
    dsc03788_115.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 53
Those are some pretty females. Do you have a QT for the babies?

I would put the females in the QT now. If they have the babies in the main tank, the other fish may eat them, or you may never find them. They are very easy to raise. I had a feeder guppy give birth. I bought a 1 gal tank and threw all the babies in there. My puffer died, and I didn't feed them to any other of my fish, so I kept them. They all lived in a 1 gal tank for awhile. I eventually moved them into a 29 gal community tank and they're still alive a year and a half later. There's food made by hikari called first bites. Just feed that to them maybe 2-3 times a day until they gat a little bigger, then gradually cut feedings to once a day.

The temp is too cold for guppies. Need to get it to 78-80 F.

Keep an eye on the females after you move them. Sometimes the stress of moving the mother's can cause complications with the birth. What fish are in the main tank with them?

Swordtails, Platys, Danio's I was told that guppy's like temperature between 66 and 84f , They has been ok for the last 6 weeks.

All those fish are tropical and would do better at 78 F IME. They are gorgeous fish and should produce some very pretty fry.

Back
Top Bottom