Guppy Ready to Give Birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are some photos.

image-2494110614.jpg

image-4155482424.jpg

image-902362640.jpg

Should I put her in the breeder trap yet? Her stomach looks squared, but she isn't very big yet...

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to fish keeping and breeding so this is a great help!

I went ahead and put her in a small breeding tank with a sponge filter in place. How long is it safe to keep her in there, and was I right to do so?

I went ahead and put her in a small breeding tank with a sponge filter in place. How long is it safe to keep her in there, and was I right to do so?

that will work out just fine make sure to keep checking the levels and take her out after she gives birth so the fry dont get eaten

Here are some photos.

Should I put her in the breeder trap yet? Her stomach looks squared, but she isn't very big yet...

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to fish keeping and breeding so this is a great help!

Can you get a pic of her anal side? I'd wait a little longer. Placing her in too early can cause her to stress and die. I do not see much of a black spot on the side yet.......
Maybe anal side has it.

Only put livebearers or any fish in a breeding box for a maximum of 4-5 days. After that, they will start getting stressed.

She gave birth a couple of nights ago, I think. She got really skinny, but I think she ate all of her fry. I've put her back into the community tank.

Her Gravid spot never got dark, which was the main reason I was so confused. Was she maybe just constipated? With a squared stomach?

Lol. Constipated...... :ROFLMAO:
Hmmm, is her anal side already usually a dark color? Maybe that's why you couldn't see it?

She gave birth a couple of nights ago, I think. She got really skinny, but I think she ate all of her fry. I've put her back into the community tank.

She ate all her fry in a breeder box?! Is this a net breeder or one of the plastic ones that allow the babies to fall to the bottom layer?

No, there was no dark area at all. And no, I put her in a tiny breeding tank. (1 gallon, I can't wait to get a bigger one. :/ )

No, there was no dark area at all. And no, I put her in a tiny breeding tank. (1 gallon, I can't wait to get a bigger one. :/ )

Oh so it was a tank with no separation layers? Was there a filter in the tank? If there was no separation and no good hiding spots, then the fry have a 99% of getting eaton by the mom.

I put a huge, thickly leaved plant in there, but no separation beyond that. And there was a small sponge filter

I put a huge, thickly leaved plant in there, but no separation beyond that. And there was a small sponge filter

I have a small tank for my birthing tank with lots and lots of plants I find that the cabomba plant is really good since its fast growing and is usually quite cheap I picked up 3 plants for £6 two went into my birthing tank and one into my main. It offers really good cover since the mothers don't tend to swim through it only the larger gaps at the bottom

I have a small tank for my birthing tank with lots and lots of plants I find that the cabomba plant is really good since its fast growing and is usually quite cheap I picked up 3 plants for £6 two went into my birthing tank and one into my main. It offers really good cover since the mothers don't tend to swim through it only the larger gaps at the bottom

Cabomba, hornwort, anacharis, water sprite, and water lettuce are all great fry hider plants.

So that eliminates the idea of the fry getting sucked up. Yeah, the mom most likely ate them. I would just let some hornwort float around and let them spread. That is usually what many breeders do. The plant hides fry very well.

Okay, thanks. I just used a fake plant bought from PetSmart.

Back
Top Bottom