guppys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew_raw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two pregnant female guppys and i have one ready to burst anytime, i have the marina hangon breeder box but i have been told that these do more bad than good si i set up two one gallon tanks with sponge filters, java moss and water from my display tank so everything was cycles. What will the fry survival rate be? Better in the gallon tub or in the breeder? Should i put her in the breeder or leave her in the gallon tank

I have two pregnant female guppys and i have one ready to burst anytime, i have the marina hangon breeder box but i have been told that these do more bad than good si i set up two one gallon tanks with sponge filters, java moss and water from my display tank so everything was cycles. What will the fry survival rate be? Better in the gallon tub or in the breeder? Should i put her in the breeder or leave her in the gallon tank
I would put her in the 1 gallon. It's not an ideal size but if that's all you have, then it will do. Did you cycle the sponge filter first....

Yeah there from my canister, i put her in there before and she just sat still in one corner so i put her back in the display tank becuase i was worried of her dying, is this normal behaviour?

Yeah there from my canister, i put her in there before and she just sat still in one corner so i put her back in the display tank becuase i was worried of her dying, is this normal behaviour?
That is quite normal. She will become very lethargic and hang around the bottom and/or the heater, she will stop eating. Just keep an eye on the water quality. You will also need a heater in the small.... I keep my fry tank around 82f....

My room temp is 26 so do i still need a heater, the tanks are plastic so is there a way to heat them externally?

My room temp is 26 so do i still need a heater, the tanks are plastic so is there a way to heat them externally?
Lucky you, my heaters are on every time I look at them. Not very warm where I live...lol. You would probably get away with it but if you have the budget, I would get a nano heater, just to keep the temp stable. I assume your temp drops, even just a few degrees at night??. You can use heaters in plastic tanks. They are on suctions cups, so are not touching the side. You could even leave it lying on the substrate....

Yeah im in an extension on the house so its well insulated and the temp falls to around 22 at night this time of the year. The nano heaters dont have a thermostat do they?

They are usually factory set around 26. Four degrees is a fair drop in temp, tank wise. You could try it without but for a few dollars, I think its worth getting one. It will only come on occasionally anyway....

right so she still hasent poped. she is still eating and lookes squared off but she has been like this for a few days ?

Mine was like that for 3 days then pop, 20+ fry , I let her have them in the main tank then fished the babies out into a 25 litre . I have another who's getting ready she's enormous and her gravies spot is huge so I presume there's a lot of babies in there ready to pop out ... She's not squared yet but one of my other females didn't square and just had them , so keep a look out in the tank ,

Same here my room is 28degrees so the tanks are too, they vary between 26 and 28 so no need for heaters until later in the year .

Back
Top Bottom