Hatching brine shrimp eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sianeebaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, i have baby platys and guppies at the moment and decided to try hatch some brine shrimp eggs for them to eat. Bought some with a 95% hatch rate, and all seemed good with them. But for some reason i cant get them to hatch!

Have them in the typical pop bottle setup with air line in there to keep it all circulating and also the salt for brine shrimp. But nothings happening, and been like... 3 days!

Any suggestions anyone, i hate wasting money and have loads more eggs! Please help!

Im using salt thats meant for brine shrimp hatching. Its JBL Artemio Brine Shrimp Salt. And temperature is around 68F i think. Which is about 22Celsius...

68 F is 20 C. Warmer would be better. I hatch mine at 80 F. Any salt will work, although the pH needs to be high. Perhaps some baking soda added might help, but I think the main problem is the temp. If you have no way to heat the hatcher, try floating it in the tank. I use 2 liter soda bottles, inverted to hatch mine. i float them in a small tank to keep them warm and suspended.

Reactions: cwt
I've also seen that adding a pinch of baking soda to the hatchery can help if your tap water is soft.

I had a light on it, didnt seem to do much.. will try the baking soda and floating it in my main tank. Thanks for the advice!

Sianeebaby, here's some advice:

Cut holes in the side of the bottle thing and put suckers on it. Then, you can stick it to the inside of your tank and let the heat from the tank naturally heat the water.

yes roomtemp of 72*f and a pinch of baking soda with aquarium salt has always hatched em in 24hrs.. adding a light or extra heat up to 80* should speed things up a little

Dont they have the ready made mix? Where the eggs are already mixed with the salt, so all you have to do is just add water and direct lamp light for 24/48 hours, started making mine Saturday already and fed my baby swordtail with the live shrimp. Any excess shrimp I put in my main tank, fish love them and you can see their hunting instinct kick in.

JBL ArtemioMix - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL

warthog76za said:
Dont they have the ready made mix? Where the eggs are already mixed with the salt, so all you have to do is just add water and direct lamp light for 24/48 hours, started making mine Saturday already and fed my baby swordtail with the live shrimp. Any excess shrimp I put in my main tank, fish love them and you can see their hunting instinct kick in.

JBL ArtemioMix - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL

Hey, nope only the salt. I live in South Wales. They dont sell a mix just the salt separate to the eggs. Im gona try again floating in the main tank as it may have been too cold without heat maybe. X

Back
Top Bottom