Have my orandas breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QK90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I joined as I'm in a spot of bother :ermm:

About 3 weeks ago, my sister in law gave me her two Orandas to keep as she is living at uni and no longer wanted them. They were living in a horrendous fish bowl so I set up and moved them into a 40L filtered tank about 2 weeks ago. I haven't got round to sorting out the fish bowl until this morning, however when I went to empty it and throw it out, I noticed what appears to be microscopic fish in there! They are about 2mm big, with long thin tails and big heads...Are these baby orandas or some sort of parasite? There are about 40 - 50 of them, and either way I need some advice on what to do with them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi :) I've attempted to upload a photo.. I'm not sure if it'll work. The fishy baby is kind of hard to see so I've drawn a circle around it :)

Yay it worked!

Attachments

• fish babies.jpg
    fish babies.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Wow. Well, certainly looks like it could be. I'm impressed. Despite the conditions they were evidently happy enough to spawn. Do you have plans for them?

I'm beyond impressed, I'm astounded! I can't believe I've created the perfect environment for baby fish! I would love to keep them until they reach sexual maturity and then either give them to a pet shop or sort out a much larger tank for them. I haven't got a clue what to do know though.. What do I feed them? Do I need to do water changes as the water they are living in at the moment cannot be very healthy. I've not had any experience with fish this young... I'm feeling a little daunted :ermm:

Sexual maturity is a LONG time away. You'll have to rehome them when they reach around 1 and a half - 2 inches or so (or make long term plans for them now). Mean time, crush your flakes as fine as possible - grind them up into a powder and feed that. It should do the job. Definitely change the water frequently but carefully - inspect your bucket for any that might have gotten siphoned up with the water. I hope someone with experience can help you here too, I have never had oranda fry. Good luck and keep us posted with photos and how you're getting on!

Oh, don't just sprinkle them on the surface - pinch in your fingers and release under the water so they sink. Tiny amounts only, 2-3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom