Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hils

Aquarium Advice Regular
5 weeks ago I set up a 15 gallon tank to breed my honey gourami's. It was very successful with loads of babies.
I went away when they were 2 weeks old and just asked my neighbour to feed them and nothing else as I know they are sensitive to air temp changes and water etc..
The tank is cling filmed, with a sponge filter, a few potted plants and no substrate.
I have come home to 4 survivors (I'm surprised there are any!), the tank is understandably filthy with algae and needs a good clean.
I'm scared to clean it and change the water in case I kill the remaining ones.
But, there is ammonia in the water!
Ph- 7.4
Am- 0.25-0.5
Ni- 0
Na- 0
Before I went away there was no ammonia, no nitrites and some nitrates.
Should I scrape the algae from the sides and the bottom and change some water? How much?
Shall I turn on a manual filter?
I really don't want to kill these guys, but the ammonia will anyway right?

your water seams pretty good i would yes clean algae, and then since you are worried about the water, do small water changes every day.

How sure are you about the ammonia reading? I tend to find that I always think a 0 reading looks a lot like a low level reading, but after a while.... my fish just aren't acting like there's constantly ammonia.

How do your fish look? If they look ok, it might just be an iffy reading. Otherwise, I'd do a big water change or add a double dose of prime.

Personally I don't let people touch my fish tanks when I go away. They can go a lot longer than we think without being fed.

Back
Top Bottom