Help!!!! angelfish breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jambar44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys and gals,
I just got home to find the the two supposedly male angelfish that I have are doing a real good job of coating a corner of my tank in eggs. assuming that these eggs actually hatch in due course what do I have to do? I have never bred before and this was completly unexpected.

thanks for you help.

well you have 2 options. either leave them or take them out and hatch them your self. usually they eat the first few batches of eggs before they get this breeding stuff rite. if u leave them in there it will take 3 days to hatch and on the 5 day they usually start swimming. then its time to feed them some frozen baby brine shrimp small amounts 3 times a day. use a turkey baster or eye dropper to shoot the shrimp close to them. and let nature take its corse and hope they dont get eaten. if u want to hatch them your self u will need a 10 gallon tank- sponge filter- heater- light- air stone- methaline blue to keep the fungus from growing on the eggs. fill tank with the same water that they were layed in.get heat up to 80. put sponge filter and meth blue in. ifthey layed on the glass its hard to get the eggs unless you use a razor blade and a siphon of some kind to catch the eggs as u scrape them off then place in tank. for future times i would put a piece of slate or i use either white marbel or black tile and use the dull side for them to lay there eggs on and it must be almost strait up and down. any more i can help let me no by message pm

Hi guys and gals,
I just got home to find the the two supposedly male angelfish that I have are doing a real good job of coating a corner of my tank in eggs. assuming that these eggs actually hatch in due course what do I have to do? I have never bred before and this was completly unexpected.

thanks for you help.

Well, since the 2 fish were supposed males, they may, in fact be 2 females which means the eggs won't hatch.
I'd suggest you read through the thread labeled "Wigglers at last" in the "Breeding Forum." It has just about every piece of information regarding breeding and raising Angelfish by current breeders and former breeders (That's me ;)).
Just so you know, while unusual, it's not unheard of 2 females spawning together.

Keep us posted (y)

thanks for the info, as it happens they appear to of eaten them. as for them both been female its certainly possible but I did get to have a look at them while they where spawning.. and one of them was considerably smaller than the other when you"planting" the eggs.. im going to put a piece of slate in and see what happens. Either way I suppose its a sign that they are happy and healthy.

thanks for the info, as it happens they appear to of eaten them. as for them both been female its certainly possible but I did get to have a look at them while they where spawning.. and one of them was considerably smaller than the other when you"planting" the eggs.. im going to put a piece of slate in and see what happens. Either way I suppose its a sign that they are happy and healthy.

This is not an unusual response to the first few spawns. Yes size is an issue but not always an indicator of gender. If you are able to see the next spawn happening, look at the tubes of the fish. A male will have a pointed tube whereas the female will have a larger blunt tube. I've heard it described like a pencil: The male has the tip end while the female has the eraser end.

Keep us posted and don't forget to read through the "Wigglers at last" thread (y)

thanks ill read the post when I get back to my house later, and try and keep an eye on them and see if I can determine a difference.

Back
Top Bottom