Help!! Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickiminaj lover

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Mollie just had babies! What do I do? I know some will get eaten but how many babies do the normally have?!? I can't really move the babies from the tank?....

Ok thanks lets hope a few survive. One of my ghost shrimp is about to lay eggs to. Lots of babies

If you live near a pet store go out an get one o these. Walmart may have them. They will keep the fish separate. One is plastic and the other is a net with a plastic frame. Some people don't recommend them, but it keeps all them from getting eaten.

Attachments

• image-1752819516.jpg
    image-1752819516.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 78
Do you put the fry in there and leave the container in the tank? Or just keep them separate? That's a good idea either way

You can get a fry basket to hang off of the edge, or there is a plant called hornwort. The fry can hide up in the corner in this plant.
I had some Molly's who had babies and 5 of them survived. (They had babies like crazy). They grew up and all was well until my thermometer malfunctioned and fried all of my fish :( R.I.P. Molly and Platy community.
Good luck with yours. Hope this helps.

Most of the babies will be sucked up into the filter too. You can take an old panty hose (or buy a bubble gum set at walmart for .50) and tie it over the bottom of the filter to prevent this. :)

If you live near a pet store go out an get one o these. Walmart may have them. They will keep the fish separate. One is plastic and the other is a net with a plastic frame. Some people don't recommend them, but it keeps all them from getting eaten.
The picture on the left is a floating breeding trap and the picture on the right is a fixed breeding net. Either can be used to raise the fry in, preferably the net. If you can't get any of these, you can make a diy one yourself. Cut a plastic milk container in half, wash REALLY well with hot water. Get a pin, heat it up and piece small holes in it. Secure it to the side wall of the tank with algae/glass cleaning magnets. Have a look for Hakari First Bites or you can crush your flakes to powder. Feed 4 times a day and change/clean out the trap/container every second day or when it builds up with leftover food... DON'T release them into the tank, until they are bigger than your biggest fishes mouth!!!. How many they have depends on her natural size, how many times she has given birth already etc. I find it's usually around 30 or more!!. They can give birth every month...

Ok thank you. It might be to late for these but the next batch ill be ready thanks to you.

The picture on the left is a floating breeding trap and the picture on the right is a fixed breeding net. Either can be used to raise the fry in, preferably the net. If you can't get any of these, you can make a diy one yourself. Cut a plastic milk container in half, wash REALLY well with hot water. Get a pin, heat it up and piece small holes in it. Secure it to the side wall of the tank with algae/glass cleaning magnets. Have a look for Hakari First Bites or you can crush your flakes to powder. Feed 4 times a day and change/clean out the trap/container every second day or when it builds up with leftover food... DON'T release them into the tank, until they are bigger than your biggest fishes mouth!!!. How many they have depends on her natural size, how many times she has given birth already etc. I find it's usually around 30 or more!!. They can give birth every month...

The net one grows algae and is harder to wash but it is better.

Back
Top Bottom