Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help breed molly

Attached here is a new 30 gallon I've set up recently with a group if molly's in it. Sorry if you can't see them (cell phone picture). One male and three females. I've been waiting for them to breed, but it seems like my male isn't interested in the least with them, which is weird as in my other 30 gallon, horus won't STOP lol.
Is there anything I can do to encourage him to breed? Tank is 76 deg, 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate <10, ph is 8.2. I would blame it on the ph but again, my other tank has nearly identical parameters, but a slightly higher ph (8.4) and both guppys and mollys breed like no I tomorrow. Hope the picture of them isn't too bad. (you wouldn't believe how hard it is to snap a picture of a moving fish lol, especially the male, whom is the one in the last picture)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120116_000222.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	71195
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120116_001039.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	71196   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120116_001417.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	71201  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120116_001518.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	71203   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120116_002419.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	71205  

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

The fish in your last picture is a platy. Thats why he doesn't want to mate with female mollies.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes sense...you sure? I'm staring at him now.
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha! Ignore this post, I'm an idiot. I thought he was awfully triangular for a molly! His mouth is quite a bit smaller than my other molly's too...darn it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Relatively sure. I have never seen a molly with the mickey mouse pattern. Also, platies are a bit shorter in body and a bit rounder. Your picture is a little blurry (getting pictures of moving fish is sooooo hard) so I recommend googling blue mickey mouse platy to look at pictures and see what you think.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail View Post
Haha! Ignore this post, I'm an idiot. I thought he was awfully triangular for a molly! His mouth is quite a bit smaller than my other molly's too...darn it.
Lol, you ninja posted! Can you trade him in for a molly?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm pretty quick lol <('-'<) (>'-')>
Lfs doesn't do returns on live animals, but hopefully I can get my friend to convince him to since my fiend used to help him identify some species he got in stock >.<
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moral of the story, even after caring got molly's for a year, it's still possible to make a mistake...
Sorry for the relative emptiness of the tank, I'm creating more floating plants when the newest batch I bought get in
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

No worries. It happens to the best of us. I hope you can get a boy molly for those lovely girls.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
No worries. It happens to the best of us. I hope you can get a boy molly for those lovely girls.
I thought that for a while, and for heidi and bast (the silver and black/tan girls respectively) that hold true. Sully, the gold one? Lovely is far from true...she eats first and that's that! Whew she took over the pecking order lol

Tags
breed, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com