help guppy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRT843

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So this morning my guppy gave birth to one fry and now I have the fry in a separate container used for breeding and the fry is just swimming around in there. I did not realize the guppy was this close to birthing and I think she has more still in her, but now I am wanting to know how I should care for the guppy? I didn't want to let him loose in the tank because some of the other fish might try to eat the little guy.

Basically with most live bearers if you can keep them away from parents and your water good, all you should have to do is crush up some flakes for them. Pretty low maintenance really

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Put in some Java moss and a lot of hiding places if ur gonna put it in the main tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

right now he is in a small hatchery chamber with crushed flakes and I think he is eating but I'm not sure, he seems fine. The other fish enjoy swimming around his box and looking at him but so far everything is good.

In my experience when you find a single baby and the mother has stopped birthing usually the fry have been eaten. I got to witness an entire birthing process beginning to end this last round, the whole process lasted around 15 minutes, I was over the tank catching babies as they dropped, still lost at least two to hungry mouths, the mother herself went for one.

I would wait at least a month before reintroducing the fry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

right now he is in a small hatchery chamber with crushed flakes and I think he is eating but I'm not sure, he seems fine. The other fish enjoy swimming around his box and looking at him but so far everything is good.

Sometimes those chambers/hatchery boxes stress the fish out if the box is too small. I have better luck with things mentioned like java moss etc and separating females to a different tank to give birth. Just some ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom