Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help - How do I rescue my fry

Hi everyone - need some advice please! 8 weeks ago we unexpectedly grew our platy family by 7. It was a surprise but no problem. Pretty quickly and relatively easily managed to set up a small nursery tank and move all 7 over. We checked, double checked and have done a number of water changes in the main tank since then, so imagine my surprise last night to find two pretty large fry (not as big as the others so I think they are perhaps about 6 weeks old), swimming happily in the main tank.

Here's my problem! I would probably just have left them there as they have survived OK until now, but this morning I looked for them and realized they somehow have managed to get into the very narrow section of the tank that has the pump and water pipe. I have no idea how they got there, but is clearly where they have been living. It is too narrow for a net of any kind and I am worried they might be loo large for a turkey baster - would it hurt them if I tried? I cant encourage them out because I don't know what the route would be... I dont want to leave them there because at some stage the will get too big to get out - and I will still have the problem of how to rescue them without a net

Old 07-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah! I think I am OK - Turkey baster seems to be doing the job - though I do now have a definite 5 new fry, one of whom will not be caught and will have to continue fending for itself for now
Old 07-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! That's great to hear My advice if you get more fry from now on would be getting a breeding box - And let them grow up there until they can defend themselves from other platys.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwypGlofish View Post
Welcome to Aquarium Advice! That's great to hear My advice if you get more fry from now on would be getting a breeding box - And let them grow up there until they can defend themselves from other platys.
Thank you! I just hadn't thought about it - I kept coldwater fish years ago and never had any breeding so was taken by surprise I'm going to separate out the males and females into 2 tanks, but think you are right. I'll get a breeding box in case we have any more in the meantime...
Old 07-09-2021, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont know anything to really help you....
But...
Congrats on the new babies!!!!
Old 07-10-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffeyJ View Post
I dont know anything to really help you....
But...
Congrats on the new babies!!!!
Thank you!

Tags
fry, rescue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com