HELP! I bought a molly yesterday and now I have babies and no clue what to do!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyndsey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought my very first fish yesterday, two black mollys. I am figureing out that I should not have gotten mollys for my first fish. I had the two mollys in a 30 gal tank with a large pleco that my sister gave me bc he was having territorial issues in her tank. Anyways, this morning I woke up to babies! The other molly was eating the babies so I separated them as fast as I could into my sons 1.5 gal tank. Now what? I don't mind have a few extra, but I don't want a million mollies. What do I do with them? How do i know if the other is a male?

The female is a bit larger than the male and the male's anal fin is long and pointed. What I should suggest is get a breeding box and put the babies in there. Then(as long as you want)when your ready you can give the babies away and keep the females. Also you can return the male for a female at the store.

Hope I helped. Good Luck!:D

If you don't want the babies, let nature take its course in your tank. You can give away, or trade the fry that make it in at the pet store (if you have one that will do that).

Livebearers can store sperm for several pregnancies, so even if you do get rid of the male chances are you could have several more sets of fry.

As for tending to the babies they are really easy to take care of. Just get the the right sized food (it looks like sand) and they will gobble it up. Its really very fun to watch. When my molly gave birth I saved 20 and only about 6 of them made it to adult hood (thanks to breeding in the Petsmart tank).

welcom to AA you can just crush your food to a fine powder thi will all you need

Back
Top Bottom