Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help in which filter would be best for baby guppies

Hi I have 2 baby fries ( baby guppies ) and I want to put them in there own little tank I'm not looking for nothing big , as I only have 2 but I'm having trouble in which sort of filter would be suitable I don't want nothing big but something safe if anyone can help remember i will only be getting a smaller tank roughly the size of like a little gold fish tank but not that if u get what I'm trying to say lol just til there big enough to go in my big tank ,, thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Go for a small sponge type filter, it will do the job and is the safest for fry because they wont get sucked up into the filter

Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Or you could just get a breeder box and pop them in there in the main tank till they are big enough, much simpler solution
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello nao...

You don't need a mechanical filter at all. You need a small air pump and a length of plastic tubing. Use a small rubber suction cup and attach the end of the tube to the bottom of the tank to move the water surface and mix a little oxygen with the water. Drop in some floating stem plants like Hornwort and change half the tank water every couple of days to maintain pure water conditions. The fry will be fine.

B
Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello nao...

You don't need a mechanical filter at all. You need a small air pump and a length of plastic tubing. Use a small rubber suction cup and attach the end of the tube to the bottom of the tank to move the water surface and mix a little oxygen with the water. Drop in some floating stem plants like Hornwort and change half the tank water every couple of days to maintain pure water conditions. The fry will be fine.

B
Yes you could waste time and money by doing that but what would be the point ? Far better to keep things simple in my opinion so just chuck em in a breeder box till they grow up, job done
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65 View Post
Or you could just get a breeder box and pop them in there in the main tank till they are big enough, much simpler solution

They are already in a breeder box but I feel sorry for them lol so I just thought I would just pick a small little tank ( I'm not looking to be spending loads of money ) just something simple but I was just worried about the filter due to seeing people say they can be sucked through it and as they are my first little baby's I want to make sure they grow up to go in my bigger tank lol
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

you could just do a fish bowl and change the water every day, no filter needed. only run you about $10 and slighty bigger than a breeder box.
high maintainence for a month, then they're back in the big tank!

"He is a most elusive little fish... and he went wherever I did go."
MrsHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They don't need to be in a breeder box for long, i had 2 in mine and it was only a couple of weeks before i could let them loose, they are doing fine and the others don't bother them. Only to chase them from the food lol
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I only have 1 left now , woke up this morning and my first baby guppy that was born has died so now only left with which was found about a week ago ... Gutted

Tags
baby, filter, guppie, guppies, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com