Help!?! Is my guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry bout a breeder net i used too but got too over crowded real fast. if you put alot of fake grass an places for the babies to hide alot will survive an you will still eventually get over crowded just not as fast. i give alot away on a regular basis cause they breed so fast.

And here are my other pregnant females. I have 2 right now.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121209_134351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121209_134351.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20121209_134435.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121209_134435.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 70
I have guppies, 2 blood shrimp, a snail, and an African dwarf frog. I got these as a Christmas present for my daughter and I have kind of fallen in love with them myself. I just can't keep my pregnant females from dying. I keep the tank at right around 78 degrees and I am really really new at all of this. Im still worried about my first water change today. I dont really know what im doing at all.
Hi, first of all don't be worried about water changes-piece of cake!!. Google, Youtube and AA will be become your best friends, so much info on there. There are many experienced people on this forum who are more than happy to help newcomers. Don't be afraid to ask questions(even if you think they might be silly!!). You won't learn anything if you don't. Add me if you like, i am by no means an expert but i will gladly share my experiences with you.. Befriend people on this site, both experenced and newbies-you can send private messages to each other. Both can share there experience and mistakes with you. Everyone had to start at the beginning sometime...

There could be many factors for your guppies dying:
How the tank is set-up
Water quality
Stress
Too many males!!
Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites?

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I had my water tested when my first female died, everything came back perfect. I had a 1 to 1 ratio. Now I have 3 males and 2 females.

Okay, I had my water tested again and it was still perfect. I returned 2 males and got 3 females so now I have 1 male and 5 females.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I had my water tested when my first female died, everything came back perfect. I had a 1 to 1 ratio. Now I have 3 males and 2 females.

Ok here is a problem but it is fixable. The ratio should be 3:1 female to male. The reason is the male guppy is insatiable. More females spreads the Attention out. You just need a few more females or less males.

breeder net be fine just line bottom with bunch fake plants kinda cramped together for babies to hide in an check frequently on them to see if she had em yet. if she really getting messed with go head put her in. :) for treating water after water changes i use a conditioner to help then keep stress down an neautralize chemicals in water if you aint got any i'd pick some up when you can it's very helpful.

Nope, still no fry! And they are huge now! Idk what is going on... here is a picture from a day or two ago

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121215_000928.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121215_000928.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
Shes been like that for two days now! And all of a sudden she started this weird thing where her entire eye will turn solid black and then go back to normal...I am so confused. The tank is at 79 degrees, I am feeding flakes, bloodworms, and freeze dried brine shrimp and still nada. I even tried a water change just to see if that would help and I still have no little fry in my tank!

Ok sry had to reread the thread. You should put her in the breeder if your going to. Then cut the lights off and see what happens. Just remember no more that 48 hrs in the net. ;-)

Well I have a lot of fake plants in one corner of the tank, so rather than stress her out anymore I just decided to let her have them in the tank. Im just worried because there are 5 guppies in my tank as well as the snails, and I dont want them getting eaten!

Some may but most won't. They are pretty smart out of the gate. They stay right on the bottom and only make short quick movements then go still. I have natural gravel in my "guppy factory" they blend in well.

try turning heat up

i run my guppy tank at 82 they multiply faster then lower temps. and the guppies do just fine at that temp an seem to get sick less then at lower temps. from what i can see in pic i'd give her 7-10 days then you'll have babies an in 28 days more after these babies you'll have more babies if this is her first batch off the male that got her then 28 days later you'll have even more babies after the male gets her she'lll have three batches. you could always get a smaller tank an put her in it. works kinda like a breeding net but better switching tanks on them usually induces guess you call it labor an babies come usually with in 2 days after tank switch.

Back
Top Bottom