Help!?! Is my guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleydevore21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought this guppy today, im a first timer, and it looks pregnant... can someone tell me if she is and if so how far along she may be?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121207_045747.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121207_045747.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20121207_045838.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121207_045838.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20121207_045914.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121207_045914.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 105
Hi

Yes she is up the duff lol prob say 2 weeks till she pops, best way to tell when she's about to pop is looking from the back of the fish and if her body has a box look to it then she's close, also to tell that she is preg is the gravid spot it's at the end of the body and is dark brown to black, home you've got a birthing box at the ready :)

Thank you so much! I got these for my daughter and I had a feeling that it was pregnant so I went and bought a breeder net. I read somewhere rhat it can really stress her out, is it worth putting her in?

Can you tell me about my other female?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121207_111316.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121207_111316.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 102
Just wait untill she has the boxed look from behind as yes keeping her in a breeding box will stress her

Thank you so much! I got these for my daughter and I had a feeling that it was pregnant so I went and bought a breeder net. I read somewhere rhat it can really stress her out, is it worth putting her in?
:welcome:Hi Ashley, don't know if you meant you got a breeding box or net. If you have a net, the fry cannot escape and will be eaten but with a box the fry can escape through the slits on the side and bottom into the tank. Have you got a seperate tank for the fry or are you going to use the main tank??...Ian

Deff Pregnant I would estimate about a week and a half..
Guppies will continue to get pregnant so long as they have contact with a male
You will have more guppy fry than you can count in no time :fish2:

Deff Pregnant I would estimate about a week and a half..
Guppies will continue to get pregnant so long as they have contact with a male
You will have more guppy fry than you can count in no time :fish2:

I don't bother using a breeder anymore with live bearers or I'd be overrun. If there's enough plant cover and places for them to hide while their still little some will make it each batch. And that way you will slowly increase your guppy population. You only have the females though and want to save the fry then def go the breeding trap route but only put her in when she looks huge and and squared off at the front her little gills should look like there popping out a bit aswell.

Oh and even if you don't have a male they can store sperm for I think 3months?( Someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you will probably end up with multiple batches of fry anyway. My platys are both female one had only one batch and the other had 4! Crazy breeders haha so hopefully no more babies for her the little sperm bag lol. Oh n my guppy just gave birth yesterday in my community tank and there zipping around the tank in the open mad daredevils in they keep nearly becoming lunch but they escape every time fast little buggers.

Idk guys they look square to me. Not saying a week isn't possible but I would say less.

Is the tank planted? If they have a place to hide after being born they will head straight for it. So breeder grass or anything they can get to that keeps the adults at bay is way better then a breeder IMO. Breeder really stress the female out and they get enough stress from the males.

Also, unless you have a deal setup with the LFS to sell them to. Your going to run out of room fast!!! So I say let nature take control.

Provide cover and food and the best of the brood is what will come thru.

If a guppy is female, that guppy is almost certainly pregnant. They can store sperm up to six months, and give birth every 30 days in that time. A few seconds with a male is all it takes to get a guppy pregnant.
The gravid spot is visible even in non pregnant (virgins) guppies, but larger and more prominent in the other 99.5% of them. Lol
In all but the barest tanks, some fry will survive. Don't panic over it. A single female guppy can lead to a colony of hundreds over a single year. You really don't need to concern yourself with saving each fry. Let the strongest live to ensure the next generation is also strong!

Phishfriend, are you talking about the first one or the second (fish) because when I woke up this morning the first one was dead. Not sure what happened but it has happened to 2 female guppies now. I had the water tested and it was perfect...idk what happened.

And I bought a net, the lady at the lfs said they were safer than the traps.

And I bought a net, the lady at the lfs said they were safer than the traps.
Hi, the problem with nets is there is nowhere for the guppy fry to go. They can't escape and the mother will eat most of them by the time you notice there born..I sometimes use a net to store the fry in, not to birth in. I agree with all the other replies, just let her loose in the tank and mother nature will do the rest.
PS..Take everything the lfs tells you with a pinch of salt, there job is to sell,sell,sell!!

I was talking about the blood fin. She died over night?? She looks healthy......how loot did you have her and what else (stock) is in the tank.

I have guppies, 2 blood shrimp, a snail, and an African dwarf frog. I got these as a Christmas present for my daughter and I have kind of fallen in love with them myself. I just can't keep my pregnant females from dying. I keep the tank at right around 78 degrees and I am really really new at all of this. Im still worried about my first water change today. I dont really know what im doing at all.

The males keep messing with my females really bad. The only other tank that I currently have is a beta fish bowl. I dont want them to keep messing with her. Should I use rhe breeder net?

Back
Top Bottom