help needed badly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:shocked!: i need some help bad i have mollies in my first new fish tank but one is prego so i need to no how to care for her and the fry help. she is a dalmation molly.

Well, your "new" tank, is it cycled? You dont need to do much to care for her. What your wanting to do with the babies would determine what to do with mom prior to delivery. I do "survival of the fittest" because I dont sell them and eventually my tank will be overloaded with babies... those that sell take mom out prior to birth, and then keep fry seperated to increase survival odds etc....

thanks and i dont no if its cycled

do you test your water levels/parameters? do partial water changes? If its not cycled your gona want to be very carefull doing those things becuase mom to be will be suseptable to illness right after delivery, not to mention how fragile the little fry are.

ok, well its really important to get youself a good test kit, lots of us use the api liquid masterkit, (in the long run this kit is also much cheaper than those unreliable test strips)

You need to read up on cycling a tank with fish in. (Vs a fishless cycle, since you have fish in) There may be a sticky at the top of one of these freshwater pages, and lots in signatures of users.

checking your amonia, nitrites and nitrates is VERY important in keeping your fish healthy, and knowing where you are in the cycleing process.

thanks i put drops in that are suppose to bring amonia down and nitrates

mollies are pregnant for about 30 days.... (give or take, cant remember the exact amount of time)

thanks allaboutfish i read that it really help i think she is going to have them really soon her stomach has been square for two days and in between her anal fin and the two fins beside each other it poped out.

Its sounds like you need to keep up on water changes. If your tank is not cycled, I doubt the fry will make it through the cycle.... even the mother... please get a Liquid Test Kit and watch your levels. We all are more than happy to help, don't let the excitement distract you from keeping your water quality good. Especially since now more fish have been added to tank(fry). Some people don't pay attention to the levels untill fish die, then they get a liquid test kit. Not really fun for the fish....

I hope your fish do awesome! I have a pregnant fish myself for the first time, so I know how it feels! Been glued to my tank for hours everyday.

thanks every one the fry r very healthy it looks they are swimming and eating and ph is still stable.

thanks every one the fry r very healthy it looks they are swimming and eating and ph is still stable.

congrats on your fry, but I wanted to point out that the ph is the least important thing to be watching out for in your tank right now. You NEED a test kit that will show you amonia, nitrates and nitrites....

GL!

Back
Top Bottom