Help! Placo/sailfin cat fish fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbohanan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright I just now spotted two fry and a bunch of moldy looking eggs in the fish tank!
the tank only has a pleco and a sailfin cat fish.

I got the fish from someone who no longer wanted them but they hadnt been with other fish for months and I've had them for about a month so I have no clue how the babies got there!

I read that sailfins dont breed in tanks and there isnt another pleco to get with this one.

I do water changes in the tank/ no filter. theres a bubbler though.

What do I feed them? should I remove the remaining eggs?
Can these two fish breed with each other? they are pretty close friends and hang under the same cave together...
I dont think I'm going to remove the fry, to scared I'll kill them.

Thanks,
Jessie

Last edited:
Remove the moldy eggs and try an algae wafer and perhaps a small bit of crushed flake. Do you have any live plants the eggs could have come in on?

Remove the moldy eggs and try an algae wafer and perhaps a small bit of crushed flake. Do you have any live plants the eggs could have come in on?
No live plants, just some old fake plants that I've had for years. I noticed the eggs on the fake plants about a week or so ago but honestly didnt know what they were since I thought that the fish wouldnt have done that.
Heres the baby: CSC_0359.jpg picture by jessiebohanan - Photobucket I saw the baby just now so its still alive.

these are the two fish who are in the tank:
DSC_0222.jpg picture by jessiebohanan - Photobucket
DSC_0252.jpg picture by jessiebohanan - Photobucket

It will be interesting to see as the baby develops. Doesn`t much look like either of the fish, they won`t interbreed as far as I know either.

It has to be from them since there arent any other fish and the water came from the tap and not from the other tanks which only have goldfish in them anyways..

Last I saw it was eating particals in the water. Hopefully it survives to adulthood and we can see what it turns out to be...

whats the best water temp for fry to survive in?

Back
Top Bottom