Help this Newby! Platy babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbibubbles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I'm just looking for some advice and apologize in advance..bc i don't know how exactly to use this site! So heres the run down..

My 3yr old son and I, have 8 fish all female except one male..5 female guppys, and a mystery platy/molly female. A couple months back I did a little research and purchased a male(black and orange)/female(black) pair of platy's to breed. Also, hoping maybe the male platy would breed with the guppies, giving them some color. Well, this morning I went to feed my fish and noticed a little black and orange..im assuming.. platy BaBy!! I have had babies before but mainly guppies, which are not hard at all to get to multiply!! I now have the baby in a separate little tank of it's own and decided to keep the mom (bc im not toooo sure which it is, but pretty sure its the blk female platy) in the original tank so i don't stress her out too badly, if it is even her! I have been watching all day and havent found anymore..:confused:..They all seem to be chasing each other around(allot of the times, i noticed, they chase the one in labor) Usually i can tell which is preggo by the big bellies but none look it.. so im guessing this happened the other day after i did the water change and this is the only one left (it does look bigger then im used to seeing them after birth)...i sure hope not!! I guess time will tell!

..This is just a really exciting experience for my son and wanted to share! Hopefully we can learn some new things!! Please any advice is Much Appreciated!!!! (I'll try to put pics up later :grin: maybe someone can help figure out what our mystery platy/molly is..thats a whole nother story lol)

nothing abnormal from where im at. if one of them did have some babies and you didnt catch them in time 9 times out of 10 most of them got eaten (sad i know). do you have a lot of plants real or fake in there? the babies are probably hiding if you have some. and cant wait for the pics

There's some bulbs are Walmart for the dwarf nymphaea (dwarf lotus/lilly) and that is an easy place for the babies to hide. Downside is that eventually the pads will cover most of the surface of the tank and that's where I found some baby guppies once. I didn't even notice them until I started cleaning the tank, because you normally don't look that closely on the upper side of the lilly pad (there was maybe .5-1 cm of water). I know that they can barely swim when they come out, but I think I counted 8-10 babies, and that is normally the higher end of each batch. Java and other mosses work well too.

Back
Top Bottom